Sponsored by:

Beware that aging clear bra!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 10:40 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Beware that aging clear bra!

I suspect some of you are like me, second or third owner of a great car with a clear bra installed by a previous owner. Mine began to show signs of age and cracking. I tried using a heat gun to remove it and quickly discovered I was in over my head. It came off not in sheets or sections, but in little gooey bits.

I took it to a good detailer and spent $200 for removal. And the results were not pretty. In some places it peeled off paint! In one spot where there was apparently touch up paint under the bra it took off a chunk of clear coat several inches across. And it was nearly impossible to do the job without some scratch marks.

As there were already chips above the bra I was planning a front respray anyway, so the damage is temporary. But if you have an older clear bra and see any signs of decay, don't wait.

Last edited by rpm's S2; 12-28-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

I've removed several old clear bras with no issues whatsoever. My understanding is that if the removal of the clear bra removes paint, that indicates that the paint was not original. Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell until you get into it.

Last edited by Dennis C; 12-28-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:19 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Peeling paint can certainly be a problem when removing clear film from a re-painted area. It doesn't always happen with repainted parts, but it is often the case. I've got 3M clear film on the front bumper cover of my 360 and after about 8 years, it still hasn't discolored or cracked. I'm wondering if the key to clear film long-life is keeping the car stored inside and not exposed to sunlight.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:30 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
I'm wondering if the key to clear film long-life is keeping the car stored inside and not exposed to sunlight.
Yes, much like the head light housings UV light is the devil.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:51 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I think a bunch of people already said that red color paint is no good, it peels off. Thats probibly your problem
Old 12-28-2015, 12:49 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

^ Well, he's got Orient Red, so that may be true. Guards Red obviously is manufactured to a higher standard - it needs to stick better due to the extra horsepower that the factory installs into all Guards Red cars.

As for the clear bra, I've never had one on any car I've owned. I know a lot of people love them. I've never really understood the logic of the clear bra in that normally, you can tell that there is a clear bra on the car, even if it is brand new, and certainly easy to see if after it's aged a couple of years. I think I'd rather live with some rock chips than a clear bra. This thread reaffirms that.

I understand that the new Xpel stuff is pretty good. It might make me change my mind after I see a few of the friends' cars (who recently installed it) after a couple of years of use. But, based on the cost and the caveats given, I'm wondering what the advantage is over just having your bumper cover resprayed every 4 or 5 years and/or having a few minor rock chips in other spots (hood, mirrors and A-pillars) touched up from time to time.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Wickedgood911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed mine as well. I'm second owner and the bra began to yellow. Removing it left adhesive and was a bitch to take off resorted to gasoline on a microfiber towel. Took a lot of time, but take your time and it will eventually come off.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:58 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kcattorney
I'm wondering what the advantage is over just having your bumper cover resprayed every 4 or 5 years and/or having a few minor rock chips in other spots (hood, mirrors and A-pillars) touched up from time to time.
I think your buddies in the TT forum would have some things to say about a resprayed bumper
Old 12-28-2015, 01:07 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

^ True that. They get their panties in a wad over stuff a lot more trivial than that. Of course, those are the same guys that believe you shouldn't subject a car to destructive use of any type, such as, you know, actually driving the car at all. The most vociferous of that bunch, based on various posts he's made, has driven his car a grand total of 1,000 miles in 3 years. But, I'll give you 5 to 1 odds that he's got a clear bra on that poor car. I'd bet his tires are the ones that came on the car when it was new, also.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:10 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

^^ I now tend to think KC is right. A front bumper cover re-spray (once it's no longer original paint, doesn't matter how many times it's re-sprayed) is about the same cost as Xpel. Additionally, I've found that while clear film protects the front end from minor chips and road rash, it will not prevent a big chip if you get hit with a large rock. A larger rock will "tear" the clear film. I got a such a chip on my 360 and it tore through the film and still chipped the paint. Then it becomes almost impossible to touch up or fix. No matter what you do, it's noticeable. If it's just a paint chip I can touch it up pretty well, but not when there's film.

I think that's why I've not bothered to put clear film on my 993 or 996.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

^ True that. They get their panties in a wad over stuff a lot more trivial than that. Of course, those are the same guys that believe you shouldn't subject a car to destructive use of any type, such as, you know, actually driving the car at all. The most vociferous of that bunch, based on various posts he's made, has driven his car a grand total of 1,000 miles in 3 years. But, I'll give you 5 to 1 odds that he's got a clear bra on that poor car. I'd bet his tires are the ones that came on the car when it was new, also.
Of course his tires are OEM...brakes, belts and hoses also. Every time you replace those stock items, your car will quickly lose value.

As for the clear bra..I think it all depends on the color of the car. Black won't show the fading as bad as lighter colors and on white cars, the film will eventually look yellow.

As for Guards Red, well, who in their right mind would own a Porsche in that "look at me" color. Might as well grow a pony tail and start dating strippers...
Old 12-28-2015, 02:41 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Might as well grow a pony tail and start dating strippers...
Mmmm, strippers. . .

Seriously, though, I think Cuda has a job like that.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:47 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Reality check on film v. paint:

Cost to apply new generation film over entire front end + mirrors - $1500
Cost of high quality respray of front end and mirrors - $3-4K

And I know, your cousin got his painted for $300 and a case of Old Milwaukee. These are actual quotes I've gotten recently.

And as to David993S's comments on the failure of clear film to protect from larger rocks... Exactly right. So in the end, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I'm going to respray the front and not install a new clear bra.

And KC, why you hating on Orient Red, or have you heard something I have not?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:54 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
And KC, why you hating on Orient Red, or have you heard something I have not?
Just ignore him. He's trying to make himself feel better after his poor choice of Guards Red on his ragged out piece of track garbage.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Krazy K has a TT now?

Quick Reply: Beware that aging clear bra!