Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's The Fastest You Have Driven Your 996?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 01:03 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I guarantee that at some point in his life, David993 has seen triple digits on a public road
Old 12-28-2015, 01:56 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Not trying to turn this into a pissing match, but you are trying to tell me you have followed every single speed limit sign, speed recommended and road regulation since you have gotten your drivers license?
Starting a pissing match is exactly what you out-of-context question is designed to do. To answer your question, of course I haven't, just like everyone else here. But I'm older now and hopefully wiser. I am simply saying opinion is that driving at triple digit speeds on a public road is dangerous and irresponsible, even on a "deserted" road at 3am. At those speeds things can go wrong in an instant and when they do, the consequences go up exponentially. I'm sure even you would agree there's a big difference between driving 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit, and driving at 120, 130 or more. But you would also agree that there are conditions where 10 mph over the posted limit can be too fast.

With nearly 20 years of SCCA racing under my belt (now retired from racing....actual racing not DE's) I apparently have a different perspective than most on the board, and perhaps I have a little more insight as to what can happen at those kind of speeds. Like I said, things can go wrong in an instant even on a race track with controlled conditions, a relatively safe environment, and other skilled drivers around you. On a public road you have zero control over the environment and conditions around you.

Lastly, if one wants to drive at those speeds, go to a track day or DE. You'll be supporting your local PCA region or other organization that puts on these events and have way more fun than driving at dangerous speeds on public roads. I would think if one can afford a Porsche, one could afford a few hundred dollars to go to a DE.

Cheers.

Last edited by David993S; 12-28-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:57 PM
David993S
Drifting

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Not trying to turn this into a pissing match, but you are trying to tell me you have followed every single speed limit sign, speed recommended and road regulation since you have gotten your drivers license?
Originally Posted by NickHolloman
I guarantee that at some point in his life, David993 has seen triple digits on a public road
Old 12-28-2015, 02:11 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S View Post
I think it's more interesting to see how may respondents exercise their car responsibly, i.e. on the track, and who does so irresponsibly on public roads:

Track: 7

Public Road: 25

Not stated or N/A: 20

Your data set is flawed... I expect to have my own category:
"Private, Un-commissioned, Mile+ long Runway: 1
Old 12-28-2015, 02:14 PM
David993S
Drifting

Originally Posted by joe-1972
Your data set is flawed... I expect to have my own category:
"Private, Un-commissioned, Mile+ long Runway: 1
Yeah.....however, I didn't include your runway blast in the public road category.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:16 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Starting a pissing match is exactly what you out-of-context question is designed to do. To answer your question, of course I haven't, just like everyone else here. But I'm older now and hopefully wiser. I am simply saying that driving at triple digit speeds on a public road is dangerous and irresponsible, even on a "deserted" road at 3am. At those speeds things can go wrong in an instant and when they do, the consequences go up exponentially. I'm sure even you would agree there's a big difference between driving 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit, and driving at 120, 130 or more. But you would also agree that there are conditions where 10 mph over the posted limit can be too fast.

With nearly 20 years of SCCA racing under my belt (now retired from racing....actual racing not DE's) I apparently have a different perspective than most on the board, and perhaps I have a little more insight as to what can happen at those kind of speeds. Like I said, things can go wrong in an instant even on a race track with controlled conditions, a relatively safe environment, and other skilled drivers around you. On a public road you have zero control over the environment and conditions around you.

Lastly, if one wants to drive at those speeds, go to a track day or DE. You'll be supporting your local PCA region or other organization that puts on these events and have way more fun than driving at dangerous speeds on public roads. I would think if one can afford a Porsche, one could afford a few hundred dollars to go to a DE.

Cheers.
+1 to all of it
Old 12-28-2015, 02:24 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah.....however, I didn't include your runway blast in the public road category.

I can honestly say that I have a hard time keeping my car below 90 on the HW... She just wants to stretch her legs!
Old 12-28-2015, 02:36 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

We are having this same conversation over in the Turbo forum. In summary, a new member just bought a pristine, 6,800 mile 996tt - beautiful car. Some of us said "take that thing to the track and exercise it." Others said "it's too nice to take to a track - it's a street car and you don't want to abuse it, just use it for spirited driving on the street." Valid points on both sides. But, the point was made that to drive the car as it was meant to be driven, you really should take it to a track for safety's sake.

All of us are guilty of driving over the speed limit. As Geico says in their commercials "It's what we do." But I think all of us are also aware that it's not the smartest thing to do to drive really fast on public roads - we are putting others in danger. So, will I occasionally take it up to 100+ mph on a truly empty highway (no other cars within half a mile of me) for a few seconds or have some fun on an empty on/off ramp? Yes, knowing myself, I would be lying to say otherwise. But, if I want to do a fair amount of significantly-above-legal-limit driving, I'll save it for an off-public-road event. That doesn't mean I'll flog it to within an inch of it's limits (I'm simply not an experienced or talented enough driver to do that anyway) or tear the car up.

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 12-28-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:00 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 174 Posts

Yeah, I have a really big margin built into anytime I run the car up to X > 90 speeds. If I want to be an idiot and do idiotic things, that's on me, but I'm not taking anyone with me. I've had one guy tell me he knew I was too big a ***** to keep up with him. You are correct sir, I am too big a ***** to weave through traffic in order to travel 100 mph+. I'm too big a ***** to do that when there's any traffic. Or something.

Also, I'd rather run one lap on track then spend the next 5 hours on an empty highway. Highways don't have interesting turns or safety crews.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:22 PM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David993S
Starting a pissing match is exactly what you out-of-context question is designed to do. To answer your question, of course I haven't, just like everyone else here. But I'm older now and hopefully wiser. I am simply saying opinion is that driving at triple digit speeds on a public road is dangerous and irresponsible, even on a "deserted" road at 3am. At those speeds things can go wrong in an instant and when they do, the consequences go up exponentially. I'm sure even you would agree there's a big difference between driving 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit, and driving at 120, 130 or more. But you would also agree that there are conditions where 10 mph over the posted limit can be too fast.

Cheers.
Incorrect.
I didnt mean to start a pissing match with my "out of context question"

My point lays in the fact that I have seen people die in accidents doing 5 miles over the speed limit and people walk away from accidents doing 120.

I get your point, and you are correct. Speeding on a public road is not the most advisable or politcally correct thing you can do. But most of the respondents that have admitted to it( myself included) have said themselves, Empty highway. For me, that meant no cars other than myself. At that point, I'll take my chances, and not before that.

Besides, I see way more individuals talking on their phones doing 90 when I'm doing 10 above the speed limit. And to tell you the truth, the lady in the Suburban on her phone doing 90 scares me more than me doing 130.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:23 PM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Yeah, I have a really big margin built into anytime I run the car up to X > 90 speeds. If I want to be an idiot and do idiotic things, that's on me, but I'm not taking anyone with me. I've had one guy tell me he knew I was too big a ***** to keep up with him. You are correct sir, I am too big a ***** to weave through traffic in order to travel 100 mph+. I'm too big a ***** to do that when there's any traffic. Or something.
i completely agree.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

138 mph on my GPS at COTA.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RickMiller
There is a beautifully maintained, flat, smooth toll road - where the speed limit is 85 - 1.2 miles from my house.
Dude! 85MPH speed limit? Wow! I'm moving to Texas!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:00 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Usually I'm focusing more on consistent turn entry and exit so I haven't really been keeping track. That and traffic on the straights usually prevents all out during DEs.

Straight at Pacific Raceways, WA: 145~ mph
Straight at The Ridge, WA: 145~ mph

At these speeds or greater requires some serious braking, tires and downforce entering turn 1.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:11 PM
Klwheat
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, mine has t seem triple digits yet since I got her a couple of months ago...but that's only because I've been on public roads only. Hoping for a track/DE day soon. I also keep asking to use 12R at KSAT but they haven't let me yet!

Quick Reply: What's The Fastest You Have Driven Your 996?