Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Could something go wrong that makes the engine/exhaust quieter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 12:06 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Could something go wrong that makes the engine/exhaust quieter?

After an impact with the ground below a while ago, I had a feeling my engine became quieter. I had everything checked (and the few plastic bits that cracked replaced) as was told everything was fine. And I could not detect any drop in performance. But then I spent some time driving my car and a friends, which should be identical, back-to-back, and we are both sure that mine is quieter, and has a less aggressive bark when you hit the throttle while cruising. It could be that he has some sport exhaust component (he just bought the car and can’t be sure), but it looks more or less the same, and I would not say it’s as loud as Porsche’s sport exhaust. Rather, I’d been thinking that after a year of 996 ownership, the engine noise wasn’t as exciting as it used to be, and maybe I should get a sport exhaust – but then his engine noise seems to provide the exitement I remember.

Any ideas what could have happened / what to check / how to fix it would be hugely appreciated!

Last edited by rs10; 12-20-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:26 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

I let my neighbor take his son for a ride in my '99 coupe. After that, the exhaust sounded like it had a leak until it warmed up. I found a damaged jack point on the left rear side and I am certain that he bottomed out on something. I had the car up on my lift several times and tightened up everything from exhaust headers to exhaust tips. Never could find the cause and ultimately just lived with it until I sold the car. I never said a word to the neighbor about it. I figured that it must have had some hairline crack somewhere that sealed itself when it warmed up and expanded.

BTW, same neighbor and son stopped by to see my current car a couple of weeks after I got it when I was doing something to it in the driveway. They sat in it, we opened up the trunk and engine bay, looked it over thoroughly. But they didn't ask to take it for a spin. Hmmm, what does that tell you?

Maybe you have some internal baffle in the muffler that has broken loose or collapsed.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
After an impact with the ground a while ago, I had a feeling my engine became quieter. I had everything checked (and the few plastic bits that cracked replaced) as was told everything was fine. And I could not detect any drop in performance. But then I spent some time driving my car and a friends, which should be identical, back-to-back, and we are both sure that mine is quieter, and has a less aggressive bark when you hit the throttle while cruising. It could be that he has some sport exhaust component (he just bought the car and can’t be sure), but it looks more or less the same, and I would not say it’s as loud as Porsche’s sport exhaust. Rather, I’d been thinking that after a year of 996 ownership, the engine noise wasn’t as exciting as it used to be, and maybe I should get a sport exhaust – but then his engine noise seems to provide the exitement I remember.

Any ideas what could have happened / what to check / how to fix it would be hugely appreciated!
Well, you are not sure your car and your friend's car are the same at least in the exhaust department. So the problem may be one explained by differences between the two cars and their exhaust systems.

I would have thought when you had the car in and had the plastic pieces replaced that damage to the suspension/drivetrain and exhaust would have been looked for and addressed.

If you suspect this was not done, my advice then would be to take the car to a qualified shop and have this done. If the exhaust is damaged to the point it affects the sound the damage should be obvious. I would add that this should be sufficient to cause a CEL to trip but maybe not.

If after all of the above and you are sure the exhaust is ok but just not noisy enough then you can explore ways of making it noisier.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:57 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

If all else has remained the same with your car since you got it, I'd say it's simply a case of getting used to it. Your friends "identical" car, clearly isn't "identical"... Unless, maybe just thinking about all those aerodynamic changes
has made your car quieter In fact, it may be a little slower than it used to be too... I think you just need some mods, and all will be right with the world again!
Old 12-20-2015, 03:30 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

dporto speaks the truth - use this as an excuse to get a new exhaust system.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:05 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dporto
If all else has remained the same with your car since you got it, I'd say it's simply a case of getting used to it. Your friends "identical" car, clearly isn't "identical"... Unless, maybe just thinking about all those aerodynamic changes has made your car quieter In fact, it may be a little slower than it used to be too...
Yes, and I'm starting to think it's generating more lift too ... ;-)
Old 12-20-2015, 06:14 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macster
I would have thought when you had the car in and had the plastic pieces replaced that damage to the suspension/drivetrain and exhaust would have been looked for and addressed.
Yes, the exhaust was looked at (and suspension, not sure about the rest of the drivetrain), by people who are pretty good, but with limited Porsche experience. Anyway, if there was any damage to the exhaust, it must be hard to detect by visual inspection.

Most of the damaged plastic or rubber pieces from the impact with the ground were towards the front of car except one of the rubber flaps that hanges below the front of the rear wheel arch, so it's quite possible the exhaust itself had no contact even with the grass - though I can't be sure ... .

I can easily imagine an impact from below making a car louder. I'm trying to imagine what could make a car quieter. Perhaps the internal baffle kcattorney mentioned ...
Old 12-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
Yes, the exhaust was looked at (and suspension, not sure about the rest of the drivetrain), by people who are pretty good, but with limited Porsche experience. Anyway, if there was any damage to the exhaust, it must be hard to detect by visual inspection.

Most of the damaged plastic or rubber pieces from the impact with the ground were towards the front of car except one of the rubber flaps that hanges below the front of the rear wheel arch, so it's quite possible the exhaust itself had no contact even with the grass - though I can't be sure ... .

I can easily imagine an impact from below making a car louder. I'm trying to imagine what could make a car quieter. Perhaps the internal baffle kcattorney mentioned ...
If you suspect that something in the exhaust was knocked loose -- the converter "bricks" are the most delicate but if one was loose I think the CEL would have come on or you could hear it knocking when cold and buzzing when hot -- then you could probably "spot" this by with the engine running at idle and the car on the lift using an infrared thermometer measuring the exhaust hardware temps from the manifold down to the converters and beyond.

Quick Reply: Could something go wrong that makes the engine/exhaust quieter?