Sponsored by:

Harrisonburg Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:57 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Harrisonburg Virginia

I'm looking at a potential new job in Harrisonburg Virginia. Is anyone familiar with the area and able to give me some info?
Thanks
Old 12-03-2015, 11:15 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Does it make good money? Do they need a programmer?

I'm not out that way often. It's a pretty area though in the mountain area. You're about 2 hours from DC without traffic, maybe a bit more. It's pretty rural out there. That whole area is growing a bit though as more people are moving out that way and commuting in towards the city.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:12 AM
markar
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure you don't speed in VA.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:56 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by markar
Make sure you don't speed in VA.
Just don't get caught

Radar detectors are illegal, but it's a no points equipment violation. At least in the less rural areas if you do get caught, just don't be a dick and it won't be an issue.

Out there in the sticks though a 911 getting popped might make a local sheriff's day.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:27 AM
redlineblue
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know it well, but Ive used Harrisonburg as a base camp for a few motorbike weekends and found it an agreeable place. About five years ago, they substantially refreshed the city center, and succeeded in attracting new business and energy to it. James Madison University influences, but doesn't dominate, the culture-- there's a livelier arts scene and better cheap restaurants than you might otherwise expect.

As for riding/driving: The Shenandoah Valley is just laced with Carrera roads. There are no wrong turns, just off-camber adventures and loose-gravel apexes. Everywhere. You can carry some speed between towns, but Not within them. By definition, 80mph, even in a 70mph zone, is Reckless Driving in Virginia. They'll arrest you* and impound your car, or "cut you a break" and write a truly eye-watering ticket. It's not that you can't speed, you just have to do it the Virginia way...

*Yes, arrest you.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:08 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

At certain speeds you go to jail. Like real jail. I think speeding over 80 is the same level of crime as child abuse. I'm not at all kidding.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:08 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redlineblue
*Yes, arrest you.
No not arrest you. Refer to my comments above about not being a dick to the cop.

Yes 80+ is automatic reckless. Yes they *can* arrest you. Yes the judge *can* impose jail time.

In reality, however, as long as you weren't doing ridiculous speeds, BS the cop/judge, or arguing with them, then you'll end up with some number of points and some amount of a fine.

I speak from a long history of talking to VA cops along the side of the road and presenting myself in front of judges. Including an 80+ ticket over the summer that culminated in the judge turning into a 1 or 2 point (I forget which) "failure to obey traffic signs" ticket with a whopping $30 fine (not including court costs).

My rules to VA speeding tickets (not a lawyer, just my experience):
1) Get a good radar detector (I swear by the V1).
2) Don't be stupid about speeding (e.g. not in residential or congested areas, know your area, really excessive speeds, etc..).
3) Don't get caught often.
4) Be nice to the cop (he is just doing his job after all, you are the one breaking the law). You don't have to admit anything, but don't try to BS him. You can try to talk him down, but don't push it.
5) If you do have to go to court, unless you have some strong evidence otherwise or a lawyer is doing it for you, just plead guilty and apologize to the judge.
6) Don't waste money on a lawyer for your first appearance. If it's your first time (unless your speed was egregious) you won't need it. Regardless, because Reckless Driving *can* carry jail time they have to offer you to continue the case to retain counsel if you want it.
7) If your record isn't pretty clean, watch how the judge handles the cases before yours (hopefully you aren't first) to see how he is acting and if you want to take advantage of a continuance.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:54 PM
redlineblue
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

To quote myself, "they'll arrest you....or...".

But Yes, arrest you: 83 in a 70, no d1ckish behavior unless 'driving a purple Porsche' counts. I was asked if I knew why I'd been pulled over, I said "no sir", and I was (very politely) asked to step out of the car, charged with reckless driving, cuffed, and stuffed. It was reduced in court as you say, but the rules are the rules and it's no use pretending the Virginia constabulary won't enforce them.

No I drive a silver one, and my ankle knows exactly where 78mph is...
Old 12-04-2015, 01:12 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redlineblue
To quote myself, "they'll arrest you....or...".

But Yes, arrest you: 83 in a 70, no d1ckish behavior unless 'driving a purple Porsche' counts. I was asked if I knew why I'd been pulled over, I said "no sir", and I was (very politely) asked to step out of the car, charged with reckless driving, cuffed, and stuffed. It was reduced in court as you say, but the rules are the rules and it's no use pretending the Virginia constabulary won't enforce them.

No I drive a silver one, and my ankle knows exactly where 78mph is...
Wow that indeed sucks

Mine was 82 in a 55, we did the usual "know how fast you were going" routine, chatted a bit, then he gave me the ticket and sent me on my way. That was in the Cayenne too (I think the only tickets we've gotten in the 911 are an equipment violation (radar detector) and expired tags/inspection/county sticker).
Old 12-04-2015, 02:42 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a kid going to JMU, so I've been there a few times. It's definitely improving for a small city with little other reason for being there. I went to grad school at UVA (in Charlottesville) which is maybe 50-60 miles away - which is also a nifty place. Both are becoming a bit of a retirement community for all the folks looking to get out of northern VA. I sold my sports car shortly after arriving in VA and quickly bought one when I left. The road laws are draconian by comparison to ....say.... Texas

Quick Reply: Harrisonburg Virginia