Sponsored by:

996 performance imporvement

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Rayman1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 performance imporvement

I have had my 2004 996 Cab since new. The engine was replaced by Porsche several years ago due to RMS issue. I would like to improve its performance and would like some recommendations on how to best do that and what the costs might be. Currently, I am willing to spend up to $2500. Not sure I want to spend the 10K for a SC. Thoughts.....
Old 10-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Are you talking street or track use (or both)?

For the best bang for your buck I'd suggest aftermarket exhaust - not a huge performance upgrade but it will sure sound like it.

For the track - suspension (coilovers) would be your best choice IMO.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:13 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can spend a lot of money on exhausts , air intakes ,chips etc and maybe get 20 hp. Not a big bump for $8K .

The flat 6 gets near on 100 bhp per litre , it's pretty well developed so trying to get a few more horsepower is a bit of a blind alley .

Your car is a cab , so you already get more exhaust burble than us coupe folks do.

On a limited budget , I'd think about a set of performance brake pads ( I've got cool carbons on mine) stainless steel brake lines ( I've got goodridge) . That's going to improve your brake performance and set you back about 400 bucks . You can do this when you are due for a brake job.

And then think about a set of h&r sport springs & sway bars and a fresh set of shocks ( check out the bilstein heavy duty or sport ones ) While its in the shop get them to replace any worn bushes and top mounts. Stock bushes are ok but check out powerflex ones ( might put you a bit over budget but last 4x as long and are a great performance tweak)

This will help you get the most out of your car and if you shop around ( check pelican & tire rack for the suspension bits) do some of the work, be close to your budget

When your tires need replacement , get some quality rubber .

Last edited by Vancouver996; 10-12-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Rayman1
2nd Gear

Default 996 performance imporvement

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I was talking street, not track. Still enjoy my 996 cab, not sure there is really much I can do to increase the fun.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:13 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

swaybars are the best bang-for-your buck. Lots of options out there, from OE GT3 bars, to GMG, tarrett end links, etc...but usually a few hundred dollars and really improves the handling.

Combined with 030 springs, or aftermarket sport springs, it's a good deal. I would recommend koni sport shocks, too.

I wouldn't waste your money on any horsepower modifications; you won't see much return.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:24 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I did a K&N intake, IPD plenum, full free flow SS exhaust and REVO ecu. It is a big improvement in performance. I think maybe about $4000. you could do w/out the ipd, and get cheaper exhaust and get around the 2500 range. But unless you do intake, exhaust and ecu, youre not going to get any benefits
Old 10-12-2015, 05:34 PM
bernardbarbour
Racer

Do nothing! The reason I say this is because I've owned a lot of cars in the past and spent a lot of money buying exhaust, suspension, chips, wheels and tires etc. The reason I bought my 04 C4S is because it does it for me. I'm not modding anything. Trust me I have the money to go all out, but this trip around I'm putting my money somewhere, while I still enjoy a factory bad *** ride. Think about it before your spend $2,500. You could buy a lot of Netflix stock, go on a cruise, take up a new hobby (Scuba Diving, Cycling, Photography) renovate a room in your house (appliances). Leave it in the bank for 30 days, see how you feel about spending that cash on your car and also look for other investment opportunities while you wait. Just my 02. Cheers
Old 10-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Briby
Advanced

Like others have said, your performance gains without getting into the engine will be minimal. But, stick to breathing - intake and exhaust. The gain in sound quality and quantity will make it feel like a good bump. And personally, that's worth it. Tires are good, too.

The suspension stuff won't make you any faster on the street (using the full capability of your handling on the street is pretty rare).

Just my two cents.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Given the age of the car , it's unlikely the suspension will be performing as well as when the car was new .
So yes , refurbishing it will make a big difference on the street . Doubly so if you live anywhere with twisty roads .

Where as louder won't make you faster . And in a cab , long trips with a loud exhaust are not fun.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:32 PM
WynnS123
Intermediate

You will enjoy suspension mods the most especially if you go to a good quality coilover setup. It will be an all around improvement even if you are just cruising. Makes driving much more enjoyable. Best mod in your situation imo. You only enjoy power mods when you are getting on it and it can get annoying when you don't want the car to be loud. I am looking to possibly get a set of KW V3's myself. They were great on my S2000. That car has since become a track only car and I switched to AST4150's. If anyone has any used coilovers for sale, let me know. I've got a 2002 C2.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Take driving lessons.
Seriously if you have not learned how to drive a Porsche fast you are wasting time and money doing anything else.
Take a performance driving course. Spend time at speed on the track in a track school car.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:56 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Roll bar. Then take it to the track and enjoy. If you are seeking a faster car then there is no point putting any money into your C4, it's basically as fast as it's going to be. Porsche spent 40 years FULL TIME getting the car to this point. I have a 2002 C2 and when I have the rpms between 3700 - 5500 I don't really see any need what so ever for a faster car. The Porsche OEM exhaust is one of the best on the planet. The OEM air intake is awesome too. I would install an air horn if you want to have more fun while you drive around.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Turkertwo
Instructor

My first mods were Fabspeed cat-back exhausts and their intake mod. Subjectively, no performance gain but I think this is what the car is supposed to sound like. See if you can find a friend or club member who has an aftermarket exhaust and sample it. You may agree. I second the thoughts above that it is difficult and expensive to try to improve on these engines without some significant downside. Mine is stock from plenum to catalysts. I substituted a single mass, lightweight flywheel when I did the clutch and I love this mod, but it is not cheap and most people would not put up with the transmission rattle that comes with this mod. It is also thought to impact long term durability. although mine's seen over 20K since the mod without incident.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:06 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're okay with 15-20hp max; exhaust, air filter and tune. If you want more, sell the car and buy a turbo.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:15 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

For street driven car, I think one should concentrate on the mods that bring the most exciting experience regardless of power that one can feel all the time, such as short shifter, sprint booster(or remapped factory ecu), exhaust, refresh worn suspension, etc. My $.02

Quick Reply: 996 performance imporvement