Sponsored by:

Cryo Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Wickedgood911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cryo Detailing

I have seen cryo detailing done in just a few places around the country (FL is one) and was curious if it's really that rare of a process and whether anyone has had their underside detailed using this technique.

The science behind the cleaning process is fascinating and the results are impressive, but it isn't cheap.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!
Old 10-04-2015, 12:12 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Cryo detailing is essentially sand blasting, except you're using small particles of dry ice. You would use this in industry because you don't have to worry about disposing any abrsaive sand. There is a misconeption when people read that is is non abrsaive. I think people assume that means it's safe for paint, when infact it will remove paint. It's "non abrasive" because it won't remove the material underneath the paint, which makes it ideal for machined parts, but doesn't neccesarily mean it's ideal for painted parts. You obviously would be using a different set up and pressure for detailing, but it's good to know the tool you're using can cause serious damage.

You can see an example here

Old 10-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

We have one of these machines there is nothing better out there. Never thought to use it to detail the bottom of a car but it would be absolutely ideal for this. We use it to strip paint off historic buildings and wood mouldings without damaging the wood fiber.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Wickedgood911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
We have one of these machines there is nothing better out there. Never thought to use it to detail the bottom of a car but it would be absolutely ideal for this. We use it to strip paint off historic buildings and wood mouldings without damaging the wood fiber.
You should consider this as a side business, specializing in high end care detailing. The YouTube videos I have seen of the results are very impressive.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I have used this to clean engine cases etc. It works great once you preclean thick greasy areas like where the oil filler tube commonly leaks.
Problem is equipment starts around $10,K Common uses are cleaning barnacles off ship hulls & cleaning toxic mold in buildings.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Wickedgood911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I have used this to clean engine cases etc. It works great once you preclean thick greasy areas like where the oil filler tube commonly leaks.
Problem is equipment starts around $10,K Common uses are cleaning barnacles off ship hulls & cleaning toxic mold in buildings.
Yeah, did a bit of research and saw the prices of equipment and industrial applications.

Quite a novel approach, but it will only be a matter of time when the left wing bans them because of excessive CO2 emissions.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Wickedgood911
Yeah, did a bit of research and saw the prices of equipment and industrial applications.

Quite a novel approach, but it will only be a matter of time when the left wing bans them because of excessive CO2 emissions.
If you are near shipyards, there are machines around or people are missing out on a business oppurtunity!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:51 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting technology.

I have used baking soda blasting in the past (not on cars) with great results... But never saw this stuff before!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:36 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've only seen this used in mold remediation(usually from wood) in Canada.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Wickedgood911
Rennlist Member

Go to YouTube and search "Cryo detail". There are a number of Porsche undercarriages being blasted.

Those with "OCD" be forewarned that it is pure cleaning ****!

Quick Reply: Cryo Detailing