Sponsored by:

Just completed 996 DIY Rebuild!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 01:11 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRUFF
I heard the same concern from many others. I went ahead and replaced all the rubber hoses when I did my rebuild. I also cleaned all the metal hoses and the oil cooler until i was sure no oil was left. I also replaced the radiator. To date no evidence of oil spots ever showed back up.
Another item we started changing as well is the expansion tank. We lost a fresh rebuild in a customer's car when the tank failed about 150 miles after the engine was put in even through it passed our tests and held vacuum. Only when ti got hot did it not hold full system pressure.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:03 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by drwhosc
RRRUFF

Great to hear. Looks like my 996 decided to loose some coolant through the exhaust yesterday. Been looking at options, and none of them any good, so would like to do myself. I just got a hold of the WSM so at lest I have that documentation. Will also bring the heads away. I did call and talk with the folks at Flat6 and despite only being about an hour and half way, they will not be able to fit me into June... I am hoping I can salvage most of my engine, and just mainly focus on the heads... I think it will be quite doable if I can be that lucky.

Would it be possible to contact you and pick your brain from time to time. Just PM me and we can exchange info.

thanks -- rr
So what failed? I may have parts that you can have to fix your car.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:57 AM
WonByOne
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRUFF
Started the project on 2/15 because of an intermix. 459 documented steps later, today I drove it to MVD to register it again! What an awesome feeling to have done it all myself. Thanks to many posts (old and new) from this and other forums - Dharn55, Loren, Macster, and too many others to mention.
If you have your documented steps, can I get my hands on that? Looking to tackle this in a couple of months. Currently I'm researching as much as I can. Called a local machine shop...did you end up using nikasil sleeves? That's the step I'm confused about and trying to put together a plan. Do I have a shop machine out cylinder then sleeve? How does all that work? The shop I spoke to said for a couple hundred bucks they can bore out the cylinders from 3.4 to 3.6 is that the way to go? Sorry for the million questions. When I posted on here so many people say things like I have to spend 10-20k and that's just ridiculous--and I can't afford that. I'm hoping, through careful planning, that I can do the job for similar or less than what you spent.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by WonByOne
If you have your documented steps, can I get my hands on that? Looking to tackle this in a couple of months. Currently I'm researching as much as I can. Called a local machine shop...did you end up using nikasil sleeves? That's the step I'm confused about and trying to put together a plan. Do I have a shop machine out cylinder then sleeve? How does all that work? The shop I spoke to said for a couple hundred bucks they can bore out the cylinders from 3.4 to 3.6 is that the way to go? Sorry for the million questions. When I posted on here so many people say things like I have to spend 10-20k and that's just ridiculous--and I can't afford that. I'm hoping, through careful planning, that I can do the job for similar or less than what you spent.
Ask the machine shop if they can get the proper pistons when they bore out the block.

What exactly happened to your engine?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:06 PM
WonByOne
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Ask the machine shop if they can get the proper pistons when they bore out the block.

Scored #4, and to a lesser extent #5
Old 03-21-2019, 02:26 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000

Good questions to ask. I wouldn't trust having anyone work on this block unless they are familiar with the M96 engine.

This isn't a Subaru which can be bored out and aftermarket pistons fitted. Like with Alusil, the Lokasil bore is uncoated and even if you can bore it out, there is a specific process to expose the silicon particles that make up the wear surface. Then a Ferrostan coated piston must be used (Mahle Motorsports can make them for $$$). This does not solve the inherent cylinder scoring or cracking issues with the M96 engine.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:45 PM
SkiHard
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm going to attempt to rebuild my m97 motor. The engine is out and all accessories are off. I've been doing searches for technical information or help of any kind and ran across your DIY. But I cant find the excel file. Are you willing to send it to me? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:03 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiHard
Hi,
I'm going to attempt to rebuild my m97 motor. The engine is out and all accessories are off. I've been doing searches for technical information or help of any kind and ran across your DIY. But I cant find the excel file. Are you willing to send it to me? Thanks.
Jake Raby did a video series on rebuilding these engines. You will be able to purchase it from Pelican Parts or LN Engineering as well as Amazon. Check out his YouTube channel called "Rennvision". Lots of free information about Porsches. He is also doing an M9X rebuild class that will be held this month. He says it will be the only one for 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvI..._as=subscriber

Quick Reply: Just completed 996 DIY Rebuild!