Sponsored by:

problem w/ fabspeed, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 02:16 PM
peterC4C
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ER:

I must say, I definitely will miss the exhaust note.. It sounded awsome.

Peter Liao
Old 09-20-2003, 12:56 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Peter,

What year is your C4? or is it a C4S? I seem to have missed that in this thread if it was stated somewhere earlier.

I've told Stephen at Imagine Auto that I'm willing to pay for some dyno time and do testing on parts in exchange for some parts to play with, this might be an opportunity to dyno before and after, component by component and then post the results for all to see...

I sent you a PM.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:18 AM
Fanman
Instructor

Default Check for leaks...........

I definately think a chip upgrade would help you. It will really allow your engine to use the additional intake (hopefully you have an intake) and the exhaust. I will caution you that when I first had my exhaust & headers installed I felt like I lost pwer too, but later on found out it was several leaks where the headers connect with the heads. The Porsche gaskets are very thin sheets of metal between the headers and heads, and even though some people say that you can reuse them, I would highly recommend picking up a new set (either at your dealer or www.performanceproducts.com), as the originals are fromed around the original set of factory headers, and thus you may have some leaks. Goddk luck.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:56 PM
sunbrother
2nd Gear

I have Fabspeed mufflers with Stock headers on my 2000 996 Aero - runs great.

I didn't have the power loss that you describe, but sometimes sound can be mistaken for horsepower.

I also put the Fabspeed cold air intake on and I can feel a throttle difference down low from about 3000 to 5000 rpms...nothing drastic...just perky - more so than stock. I did the air intake about 3 weeks after my mufflers so I could see if I notice any difference by checking each upgrade by itself.

I do have a question - do the computers really "re-map" themselves???? Or do they just make the necessary adjustments to meet the ratios in the computer from the factory??? I am not sure I understand this remapping and why would it take time...wouldn't it just adjust the ratios immediately???

For those who may be thinking of Fabspeed....I am happy with mine and I did have a fit adjusting my Porsche oval tips onto the mufflers, but after several tries I think I have them straight.

I did do all the install myself and it wasn't too bad.

Hope this helps anyone out there.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:10 PM
The good ol' boys...
Advanced

Sunbrother, that be yer no.1 post. You aint related to Joe are ya?
Old 09-21-2003, 01:45 PM
sunbrother
2nd Gear

I have been reading a lot, not posting.....I haven't had anything to add until recently.

I have had my 2000 996 Aero for about 6 weeks and I just sold my older turbo. So I am in the process of learning the newer engines and upgrades. I did a lot of the work on my old turbo myself.

Not related to Joe....never have spoken to Joe, but the equipment worked well on my car and I didn't want the world to base a decision on one bad experience....of course it is possible that I am the only one without trouble.

Check out my cars at http://www.sunbrother.com/porsche
Old 09-21-2003, 02:33 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

As another option to Fabspeeds some of you might want to check out Monty Mufflers. They are made in Victoria, Australia.

Quick Reply: problem w/ fabspeed, need advice