Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Greetings everyone! Soon to be 996 Owner here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 02:16 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Alright - you need to schedule in a visit to the Kansas City Automotive Museum. Reason #1: it is official museum policy that anyone arriving in a 996 gets free admission to the museum. Why you ask? Prior to me selling my black 996, 3 of our 8 board of directors drove 996s. So, we passed that policy.
At the front desk, just tell them that you are a Rennlist member and to ask for Jeff. I'll come downstairs (my law firm is on the 2nd floor) and say "hey" and get you past the front desk. Would love to see the car. Plus, there are about 30 good restaurants within a few blocks of auto museum - including a Twin Peaks and a Joe's Kansas City (considered one of our city's best BBQ joints, which means it is one of the world's best BBQ places).
The auto museum is only a few minutes' detour from your straight route through the city. You just take I-435 south off I-70 east on the west side of the city (I-435 bypasses downtown) and then take I-35 south for one exit off I-435. We are at I-35 & 119th Street in Olathe. PM me if you want to give me a heads up on when you'll be coming through.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:01 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't go to Twin Peaks unless you bring a knife and a gun with you. Plus you're probably bringing your new wifey so probably not a good idea anyhow.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:13 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

purdy car, congrats and welcome to the club. have a safe and fun drive home

Old 08-21-2015, 10:51 PM
jhynesrockmtn
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats and enjoy the trip. I've done a few long distance car and motorcycle purchases. The drive/ride back is part of the fun. I second the idea of getting the oil changed and having things checked before you hit the road.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:35 PM
JayAre
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome. I'm really digging this forum. kcattorney I should be able to make it from Denver to KC before closing time. We will definitely be stopping at Joe's for dinner. I'll pm a keep in contact.
Good looking out on the Twin Peaks apline003z

As for the oil change. It was done April 1st, 600 miles ago at a Porsche shop in Denver. So I think I'm gonna take my chances for the ride home. I'll take a look at it of course. I'll change it once I get her home. I want to do it myself so I can get a good look at underneath.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:37 PM
JayAre
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dennis C
No problem! If you do the three passes, let me know and I'll meet you for a beer when you come down off of Squaw Pass. That's quite close to my house.
If we end up taking that route I'll let ya know. I always enjoy have a good beer at a high altitude!
Old 08-21-2015, 11:54 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,370 Likes on 858 Posts

I'm good for the beer even if you just take I-70!

I'm always looking for a good excuse to take the Porsche out and have a beer!
Old 08-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn! You guys' friendly hospitality makes me wanna buy a 2nd 996 from the east coast and drive back west the same route. ..... Wait a minute, since you know me, I don't think you'll be as nice. Never mind!

JayAre: Congrats on the purchase! Gorgeous car. Although everyone didn't, I'll just say that congrats on getting hitched as well! [See, I'm much nicer!]
Old 08-22-2015, 12:51 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rubik
Damn! You guys' friendly hospitality makes me wanna buy a 2nd 996 from the east coast and drive back west the same route. ..... Wait a minute, since you know me, I don't think you'll be as nice. Never mind!

JayAre: Congrats on the purchase! Gorgeous car. Although everyone didn't, I'll just say that congrats on getting hitched as well! [See, I'm much nicer!]
Right? I might have to buy another 996 and drive cross country. Again.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:11 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Damn! You guys' friendly hospitality makes me wanna buy a 2nd 996 from the east coast and drive back west the same route. ..... Wait a minute, since you know me, I don't think you'll be as nice.
Let us know when you do and I'll happily necro your favorite thread so you can figure out the best place to keep your phone in the new one.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:14 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Let us know when you do and I'll happily necro your favorite thread so you can figure out the best place to keep your phone in the new one.
Seriously though, I would definitely not mind some Kansas City BBQ and a drive through the Rockies. Most people dream about this sh*t. And the phone, .... ah f*ck it!
Old 08-22-2015, 03:12 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Last time that I drove my 996 on Squaw Pass....
Attached Images    
Old 08-22-2015, 08:28 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 793 Posts

Did u have to use special oil at ^that^ altitude?
Old 08-22-2015, 11:26 AM
JayAre
Track Day

They do have some special oil out in Colorado!

And chocolate... and beer... well most everything is great in Colorado.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:46 AM
JayAre
Track Day

Default The journey has begun!

After waiting for what seem liked forever, my wife and I flew into Aspen yesterday to pick up our new Porsche. Of course it was raining. But not too bad. We were picked up by the owners lady friend and taken on a nice drive to their home in Carbondale. Once there Phil (the owner) walked me up the property to where the Porsche is stored. Took the cover off and finally got to see my new baby in person. Oh man was I stoked! Fired her up and she was purring right away. After hanging out with the couple and chatting it up for a while it was time to hit the mountains. On a side note, the previous owner was a very facinating character. He held the crown for a long time, with the biggest Pot bust in U.S. History. Something like 27,000 pounds in '74! Oh man did this guy have some stories. He ounce bought a B-25 bomber to fly pot back and forth from Colimbia, after his little Cherroke couldn't carry anymore. I asked when his book was coming out! Wild stuff. Great guy though. I could've hung out with him and his lady all damn day. But I had bigger issues to deal with. Like, driving my new Porsche!

We ending up going back past Aspen and south on 82 to Twin Lakes. After that went north on 24 to 91 to 70. (Sorry I didn't catch up with you Dennis C we were running a bit behind on our schedule.) totally missed the exit for Loveland pass. Was kinda bummed about that. Then hopped off of 70 at 74 and took into Denver. Was some great twisties along the path! Wish we had more time to hit some more passes.

But the Porsche was fantastic! He gave me all the service records. Coolant was just flushed a couple months a ago, spark plugs changed as well. Tires have about 3k miles on them. So I'd say she's ready to cross the U.S. Back to MD! I'll keep y'all updated on the travels.

Last edited by JayAre; 08-28-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Greetings everyone! Soon to be 996 Owner here.