Sponsored by:

Speed dependant volume control..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 04:41 PM
racer08
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Speed dependant volume control..HELP

I recently bought a used 99 Carrera 2 with the Hi-Fi sound option. The previous owner had done previous audio mods such as upgraded speakers. I have been struggling to get the speed dependant volume control to work. I've set GAL from 1 to 7 with no results. So I finally pulled the radio and the wire that controls this option is not in my harness. It should be in harness "A" pin 1 according to Becker's wiring diagram in the supplemental radio handbook. Can anyone tell me where this wire originates from so that I can re-run the wire to make this option functional. Does it come from a sensor or the amp or somewhere else. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2003, 05:25 PM
path
Instructor

I just bought a used 00 C4 and it has HiFi and a Becker 220 radio with CD. Did you get a operators manual? I can't find anything about the radio in regular manual only instructions for HiFi.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:50 PM
racer08
Advanced

Yes there is a seperate manual for the radio. I don't have the link but if you look around on www.beckerautosound.com I think that there is a .PDF version of the manual that you can view with Adobe Reader.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:30 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Speed dependant volume control..HELP

Originally posted by racer08
I recently bought a used 99 Carrera 2 with the Hi-Fi sound option. The previous owner had done previous audio mods such as upgraded speakers. I have been struggling to get the speed dependant volume control to work. I've set GAL from 1 to 7 with no results. So I finally pulled the radio and the wire that controls this option is not in my harness. It should be in harness "A" pin 1 according to Becker's wiring diagram in the supplemental radio handbook. Can anyone tell me where this wire originates from so that I can re-run the wire to make this option functional. Does it come from a sensor or the amp or somewhere else. Thanks!
I think if you have the DSP option it is not used in the radio but the DSP unit. My GAL on my 99 without HiFi works fine with the radio.
If all else fails you can add it... here is a link
Old 09-17-2003, 09:25 AM
racer08
Advanced

Thanks for the link. I actually found it last night when trying to research my problem. It covers exactly what my problem is. It weird if you have the DSP that it doesn't really change to volume so that you can hear it. O'well at least I know how to fix it now. Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:15 PM
racer08
Advanced

OK now my problem is finding a wire that I can tap into for the speed info. The link above it is for Boxters and Cabrios and he taps into the relay for the Carbrio. My 996 Coupe however does not have this relay. Does anyone know where else I might tap into a wire or relay for this. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Loren
Drifting

It is a gray/pink wire in relay position 23 -- jumper plug 1
Old 09-17-2003, 05:00 PM
racer08
Advanced

Loren I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the relay numbering. I know they are up and to the right of the fuses and there are about 4 rows of relays but how are they numbered and can you explain the jumper plug? Thanks for your patience. Is there a schematic or map for the for the relays for a 99 911 coupe. Thanks.

Greg
Old 09-17-2003, 06:22 PM
racer08
Advanced

OK I figured out which one is #23 using a really bright florescent work light I noticed that the numbers for the relays were to the upper left of each relay. However, I do not have a relay in that position. It has a black plastic cover over it that I cannot seem to pry off. What am I doing wrong?!?
Old 09-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Loren
Drifting

Originally posted by racer08
OK I figured out which one is #23 using a really bright florescent work light I noticed that the numbers for the relays were to the upper left of each relay. However, I do not have a relay in that position. It has a black plastic cover over it that I cannot seem to pry off. What am I doing wrong?!?
Look at the photos below (someone else's -- sorry can't remember who).
1) Remove the fuse panel cover and the carpet cover itself by removing four screws. Release the relay carrier above the fuse panel by releasing a clip on the left and a 10mm nut on the right.

2) Pull it down so you can rotate it around to see the back. This pic shows position 23.

3) Now look for the gray/pink wire and tap into it.

Quick Reply: Speed dependant volume control..HELP