996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sunroof and Fuel Filter Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:33 PM
crosson9
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof and Fuel Filter Questions.

So the sunroof has taken a dump. It's closed, but leaking.... and it's the rainy season here in Florida. Who has had a sunroof issue and what did you do?

Has anyone changed out their fuel filter? Read on Pelican Parts it should be done every 10k miles. Though I didn't see the filter listed for my car.
Thank you! -T.J.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll probably need to share the year and model of your car for the fuel filter info.

Sounds like your sunroof drains need to be cleared.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by crosson9
So the sunroof has taken a dump. It's closed, but leaking.... and it's the rainy season here in Florida. Who has had a sunroof issue and what did you do?

Has anyone changed out their fuel filter? Read on Pelican Parts it should be done every 10k miles. Though I didn't see the filter listed for my car.
Thank you! -T.J.
Gulliver nailed the sunroof leak thing.

I forget starting at what model year but Porsche went with an in-tank fuel filter setup. There is no change or clean schedule.

The pump housing is actually the fuel filter. A large portion of the housing the fuel pump is in -- this housing attaches to the bottom of the fuel tank -- is a very fine mesh which acts as a fuel filter.

It works pretty darn good and doesn't appear to get filled up with debris. When the fuel pump in my 2002 Boxster quit at around 200K miles the mesh had some trash in it but not much. The fuel injectors were working fine and still are and are original and now have nearly 293K miles on them which suggests to me the fuel delivered to the injectors was free of trash as any would have eroded the tip, or blocked the nozzle, or possibly plugged the very fine mesh filter that I believe is inside the injector body.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:15 PM
crosson9
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did find info on my year and there is no changing of the filter. I can mark that off the list of things to do.

The sunroof issue, sounds like the timing of the switch and the cables are off. Looks like I'm going to have to find a local shop to work on it. I will more than likely make the issue worse if I mess with it.
Thank you guys for your replies! -T.J.

Quick Reply: Sunroof and Fuel Filter Questions.