Sponsored by:

Introduction and 996/C4S advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:18 PM
jhynesrockmtn
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Introduction and 996/C4S advice

New member here but not new to Porsche. I started 10 years ago with a used 2001 Boxster S, started going to DE's and for a while had two 911 SC's. One fairly stock and the other a dedicated track car. I got into vintage racing and am currently running a vintage Formula Vee with my club. I'm hoping to put a 914 race car together at some point - or buy one. I have a 72 911 and a 73 914 in various states of repair. Neither of which are currently running.

I've been researching 996's for a bit wanting to get something I can use as a nice weather daily driver and take to a few DE's per year. I've landed on a C4S after realizing a TT was a bit out of my price range.

I've found a local 92,000 mile car that looks to be in fantastic shape with current maintenance, IMS done, new clutch at 70k, various other items replaced along the way. It is going in for a PPI in a week. After talking to the mechanic, he's suggesting starting with a good physical inspection and looking at engine data before doing a leak down/compression. If the data looks good, he doesn't think it will need further testing. Seems reasonable.

A few questions:

Any fears with a car of this mileage? I tend to subscribe to the theory that I'd rather buy a car that has seen regular use and care. I plan to put about 5,000 per year on it.
Any specific things to have looked at with the PPI? I don't think the water pump has been done for example. Radiators I believe are original. I have the maintenance records starting at about 50,000 miles.
Would you run tires for track days whose tread is a bit low for street use? The current set only have 7,500 miles on them but the rears are close to needing replacement?
Any other must do items before heading to the track? Stock pads ok? I am instructing with our club in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 08-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If PPI checks out, don't be scared of the mileage. I bought my 2002 C2 with 117k, sold it at 130k+ 15 months later.

My car was CA/AZ car all its life, so interior and paint were near flawless. While I had it, I replaced SAI pump, coolant tank, oil filler tube, and changed oil twice. When I got rid of it, rear tires were about gone, I started getting intermittent CEL for SAI valves, there was some ticking on the passenger side of the engine when cold (went away as warmed up), and headlight switch was starting to act up.

With M96 engine, you have to be comfortable with taking a chance. My opinion was that odds are 90 to 10 for my high mileage car. It drove well, it sounded well, and it didn't burn oil. If engine blew, well such is life. You have to be comfortable with that possibility to own the high mileage M96 car IMO. I drove the car a lot and often in AZ heat, it never left me stranded. Coolant tank died in Snowbowl Resort (10k feet elevation was too much for old tank was my theory), but I refilled the system on the mountain and drove the car home without losing any coolant.

There are people here who have high mileage cars and they work well, there are people like Cuda911 who suffered a failure out of nowhere on a higher mileage car.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:07 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Doesn't have to be high mileage for the engine to go. Mine went at about 40K miles. Just the chance you take with these cars.

For the track the type of tire is more important than the amount of wear (as long as it doesn't rain). I run Yokohama AD08R and love them on the track. Heard really good thing about Michelin Pilot Sport Cups as well. As for brakes - the stock setup is really good but you will probably get some fade with the stock pads. I switched to Ferodo pads for better performance on track.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:14 AM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil pan needs baffles for track use. Do a search.

C4S with high mileage is nothing to worry about. If you want to be preventative, replace the cam chaing guides. But otherwise, nothing that is more likely to fail than the lower mileage cars.

Quick Reply: Introduction and 996/C4S advice