Sponsored by:

Driver's door rattle fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 08:21 PM
acciardi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Driver's door rattle fix

I think I just made my first contribution to the evolution of the 996 series.

I found an easy fix to the driver's side door rattle (I presume the same rattler can appear on the passenger side).

This is the little metallic "tink-tink" that emanates from the top of the door near the latch. I believe it is caused by the lock mechanism module being mounted so close to the inner steel stamping of the door.

First remove the door panel. You do this by removing the airbag label (it just pops out exposing a hex head fastener), then prying off the long parabola-shaped portion of the inside door handle. Start at the bottom and work your way up with a butter knife. There are two Torx screws that do the bulk of holding the door panel in place. Finally, there are two Phillips screws inside the map pocket and under the inside door release latch. Next you pry off the triangular plastic filler near the morror. Then you can just pop the plastic rivets along the perimeter and lift the whole panel up.

I noticed that the lock module, if nudged about 1/2 mm, would rattle against the steel inside the door. So I placed a 2" strip of foam tape between the lock module and the inside door steel to isolate the two.

Voila! No more rattle. Now my car is blessedly completely rattle free. Feels like a solid block of steel.

Ed
Old 09-13-2003, 08:34 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Cool thanks!! Mine does the same thing. Drives me NUTS on rough roads.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:01 PM
twisted
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just kinda did the same thing a few days ago .. except I only pulled the door panel free around the outside edge and did not remove any of the screws, was able to slip in 1/2" x 3/8" foam cut to fit between two of the white plastic clips .. great minds ....

Quick Reply: Driver's door rattle fix