Sponsored by:

Steering feels "strange" on my 2002 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:47 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Steering feels "strange" on my 2002 C4S

So mine has a "knocking/creaking" sound from the front. I thought it was only when I braked but it seems to be noticeable when coasting too. I checked the front wheels for wiggle, lifted up and pushed down on the front but couldn't really replicate the sound. The car is currently on a lift for something else and I asked the tech about it. Thinking it might be steering rack related.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 251 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by bal
So mine has a "knocking/creaking" sound from the front. I thought it was only when I braked but it seems to be noticeable when coasting too. I checked the front wheels for wiggle, lifted up and pushed down on the front but couldn't really replicate the sound. The car is currently on a lift for something else and I asked the tech about it. Thinking it might be steering rack related.
Not sure if it will be of any help, but a "test" I was given when one of my cars (my '96 Mustang GT) was suspected of having a steering problem -- I forget the symptoms now but I do not think noises was one of them -- was to in a large parking lot at slow speed make a sharp u-turn. As the turn completes release the wheel and let it find its "center". Carefully and precisely note the position the wheel assumes after the turn.

Repeat this several times in both directions. If the wheel doesn't center the same place every time that can be a sign of a problem.

I did the test and the wheel didn't center and my car's rack was replaced -- under warranty thank goodness.

Quick Reply: Steering feels "strange" on my 2002 C4S