Sponsored by:

Rear thud on hard stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear thud on hard stop

I know noises are hard to diagnose and my car has about 112km on it or around 70k miles. I noticed this morning for the first time when I stopped hard at a railway track like when you brake and stop abruptly. When the car transferred forward before settling again in the rear I had a thud. I tested this again dropping my little guy off at the baby sitters.

I would guess engine mounts but is there any way to check them before just replacing them?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:58 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
I know noises are hard to diagnose and my car has about 112km on it or around 70k miles. I noticed this morning for the first time when I stopped hard at a railway track like when you brake and stop abruptly. When the car transferred forward before settling again in the rear I had a thud. I tested this again dropping my little guy off at the baby sitters.

I would guess engine mounts but is there any way to check them before just replacing them?
Check under the seat. I had a weird thunk in a 997.1 and the mechanic found a golf ball rolling around under the passenger seat. Simple fix. Hope it's something like that...
Old 06-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Check under the seat. I had a weird thunk in a 997.1 and the mechanic found a golf ball rolling around under the passenger seat. Simple fix. Hope it's something like that...
How cool would that be! The previous owners was a golfer!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
How cool would that be! The previous owners was a golfer!
I goch yer attention now, right?
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it just one thud, or several for every stop? Engine mounts wouldn't make it behave like that, and your car would likely be shaking at idle if the mounts were bad. Are your back seats folded down? If not, try that while you look around the interior as Zeus says. If I had to guess any single component, it would be a ball joint or swaybar link.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

I'm going to put it on the hoist and have a look over it. Then I should have a better idea. It seems to come from the passenger side seat area but its so hard to tell.

I ordered a set of motor mounts from my local parts runner for $100 each and I will change them as a preventative thing anyways with the mileage on the car and the exhaust sagging its a starting point.

It appears from looking at online pics my car has been lowered the previous owner was clueless so it could be a result of many things. Once I am in the air I will have a good idea.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:04 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully it is an easy fix.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Your a genius I dug into this the other night. Previous owner had a full water bottle thumping around.

Quick Reply: Rear thud on hard stop