Sponsored by:

My car...she's making a funny noise when I reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Random Alias
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car...she's making a funny noise when I reverse

Anyone have any idea what this might be? It's a 2001 C2.

Usually this happens when I'm backing out of the garage the car makes a very deep chirp noice. You know? Not a squeak, not a squeal, but deeper "eeerrrrp".

Maybe lasts a second or two, happens about 75% of the time I back out of the garage, less often just reversing out of a parking space or something (maybe the car has to sit/cool down?).

Thanks for any help narrowing it down...I know for certain that when I take it to the dealer it won't make that noise on a bet...always seems to work out that way doesn't it?
Old 09-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well mine does this maybe once every 3 or four months. Particularly if the car was left out the garage and it rained. I get it as soon as I start the car or if I reverse say a few minites after starting her. As I said it happens rarely. My dealer said one of the belts maybe slipping but he doesn't think its worth changing. He has tightened it to the recommended setting and it hasn't ocurred since he last done that a few weeks back.
I wonder sometimes if it is in fact the BMC air filter. Do you have an aftermarket filter?
Old 09-11-2003, 07:13 PM
Random Alias
Advanced

Originally posted by Scouser
Do you have an aftermarket filter?
Nope. Everything is stock.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Random Alias
Advanced

So on the suggestion on someone else, I checked the hydraulic fluid...and it sure seems like something isn't right. They suggested a possible leak, and there is one, but the result was a bit different than I was anticipating. There seems to be too much hydraulic fluid.

Could this be causing the noise? I do recall at first thinking the noise occured as I turned the wheel to angle out of the garage.

Do I need to remove some of the hydraulic fluid?
If so, any suggestions on how?

Oil is little over max too, but just the smallest amount. I'm guessing the previous owner got a little too excited topping off the fluids or something??

Quick Reply: My car...she's making a funny noise when I reverse