996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Audio advice for 1999 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the hi-fi sound option on my 1999 C2 Coupe and the sound quality was embarrasing to say the least! I spent big $$ to have Innovative Audio custom build a fiberglass sub enclosure with twin 8" kicker solobarics inside. OEM quality with factory carpet and leather to boot. In addition, they rack mounted a big Kenwood Amp in the front trunk, left the hi-fi amp driving the OEM rear speakers and dash " and I had them also install a K40 front/rear radar detection system with LED's between the seat heater switches. Very clean.

When I moved from the 1999 C2 to a 2001 C2 I moved the sub enclosure over, upgraded to an XTANT Amp, and also to Memphis Audio speakers all around. Night and day difference over the first car and every single person who listened loved it!! Even with PSE installed (wide open full time) on long highway trips having great sound is essential IMO. Subs, good speakers and decent Amp is a solid investment. FYI, if I had to do it again though I'd go with Reus Audio in CA as I've heard they have wicked good system that's best upgrade bang for $$
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2003, 03:25 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

OEM lookin' sub enclosure. There's an aluminum grate on back facing window for added appearance.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2003, 06:14 PM
MLA911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vic, I had the system professionally installed at Sound Advice in Boca Raton, Florida so I can't say that I have first hand knowledge of the actual fit; however, the MB Quarts and Bostons are built on the european specs, and as far as I know they fit seemlessly, and was assured that the system could be put back to stock without any problems. The AMP is huge and actually sits on the floor of the trunk. The factory AMP was pulled and in its place went the XM tuner and the crossovers for the MB's. The Alpine head unit is standard DIN size so it fits just the same as the Becker. The only non-stock side effect of the head unit is that all of the buttons and display are BLUE, so its obviously conspicuous, but pretty cool. The sub box has the same carpet as the rest of the car and looks like it was meant to be. Lastly, the sound is one thousand percent better...man is it LOUD!! BTW, Car Audio Innovations makes a pair of subboxes that sit on the floor behind the seat in the Cab...caveat though, if you're 6' + you might not be able to put the seat all the way back. If you need any other info let me know, I'd be glad to pass it along.

Mike
Old 11-19-2003, 06:20 PM
MLA911
Advanced

Westcoast996, looks great!!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

thanks MLA. Strange how I miss the stereo more than the actual 996. Had I purchased an 02 or newer car with the factory Bose System I'm not sure that I still would have upgraded since for the most part I've heard that the Bose is adequete whereas anything Porsche offered previously was simply terrible by any modern car audio standard.

Hi-Fi sound system in the 01 and earlier cars was laughable.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:57 PM
mastermind
Advanced

Smile

Just get a set of GT3 Muffler bypass pipes from fabspeed... then you won't care about the radio!

trev
Old 11-19-2003, 07:58 PM
mastermind
Advanced

Smile

Just get a set of GT3 Muffler bypass pipes from fabspeed... then you won't care about the radio!

trev
Old 11-20-2003, 02:26 PM
Zish
AutoX

Does anyone know if its possible to attach an amp to the Porsche CR22 tape headunit. I ask because looking at the rear of the unit it doesn't look like there are any RCA preouts to connect an amp to.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2003, 01:00 PM
MLA911
Advanced

Westcoast...I'd have to agree with you there. My neighbor has an '03 TT with the Bose system in it, with navigation and it sounds pretty decent. Unless you were going to go with a DVD screen in place of the nav unit, I'd be hardpressed to rip it out; however, the only thing that I would want to integrate is Satellite Radio. If you don't have it yet, get it! I don't know about Seattle but SoFla radio sucks, to put it mildly. Satellite Radio is the only way to go! I've been an XM subscriber since its inception, and will never be without it again. M-

Zish - without RCA's I think you're SOL, unless you can obtain an aftermarket wiring harness. But why do you want to keep the CR22 anyway?????
Old 04-30-2004, 08:28 AM
mattmarsden
Advanced

Kevin M.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did your car have speaker enclosures in the doors, or did you add these yourself?
Old 04-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Matt,
Yes they did have the enlcosures already, just the smaller ones, I purchased the bigger enclosures and they also fit perfectly.

Quick Reply: Audio advice for 1999 Carrera