Sponsored by:

Another PCCB story

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Mark GT2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oak:

Appreciate the input - but what I've decided to do is replace the whole system with the Brembo racing system Monoblock 8 piston 4 pad front calipers with 380 mm floating hat slotted rotors and 6 piston 2 pad monoblock calipers for the rear and they all have titanium inserts in the caliper pistons for heat dissipation. The rear rotors have full handbrake capability as well. You can specify Perfomance Friction or Ferodo or Mintex racing pads - we're going with Performance Friction. Brembo just came out with this system recently.

I had heard about just swapping out the rotors - but I opted for what I believe will be better still.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark, That is an awsome set up. From my experience and speaking to others that have done the 8 piston Brembo set up have mentioned a soft pedal, and abit slow on the initial bite. Almost like air in the system, but there is none. Could be abit hair raising on the street, but once on the track it's not really and issue with a heavy foot.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Mark GT2
Oak:

Appreciate the input - but what I've decided to do is replace the whole system with the Brembo racing system Monoblock 8 piston 4 pad front calipers with 380 mm floating hat slotted rotors and 6 piston 2 pad monoblock calipers for the rear and they all have titanium inserts in the caliper pistons for heat dissipation. The rear rotors have full handbrake capability as well. You can specify Perfomance Friction or Ferodo or Mintex racing pads - we're going with Performance Friction. Brembo just came out with this system recently.

I had heard about just swapping out the rotors - but I opted for what I believe will be better still.
Here is a lead I came across on a Brembo 8 piston setup... not sure if it is the same as what you are looking for.

Brembo 8 pistons for sale...
Old 09-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Mark GT2
Advanced

Don't know if that's similar or not. The ones I got (installed today) have 6 pistons in the rear.......too late now anyway - but thanks for the lead.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark, let us how the system feels, and how they perform. Can you use the stock 18" wheels?
Old 09-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Mark GT2
Advanced

The stock wheels on the GT2 will fit.......
Old 09-09-2003, 04:34 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Karl S
In theory you might be right. The realty is Porsche does not recalibrate the suspension settings if you get PCCB, so the advantages you state are not realized unless the owner spends some more money and does their own suspension tuning. The other advantage of less unsprung weight is sharper turn-in and a more responsive feel to the car. I suspect that there are very few drivers with enough track experience (you won't get it on the street) to be able to really feel 40 lbs difference in unsprung weight.
I can really feel the difference. I have been fortunate enough to have both systems on my car. I can confirm a significant difference in the feel between the two.

Street cars are set up softer than ideal for handling on most roads/tracks. This is done for comfort. My experience is that the lower unsprung weight produces a car which feels more like a stiffer sprung car without increasing the unpleasantness of it -- a win/win.

Stephen
Old 09-09-2003, 04:44 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Another PCCB story

Originally posted by Mark GT2
I wanted to share this with anyone considering PCCB....
Interesting post Mark. So much for the claim that it is just a few malcontents causing trouble.

You’ve read the earlier threads here and on Rennteam.com? From your thread title I guess you have.

I am consistently amazed at the number of people here who take the attitude that “Porsche can do no wrong”.

Sounds to me like you are setting up for a legal fight. Is this the case?

Ok, just from reading your post, my impression is that:

1) The lack of stopping is due to boiled fluid and not pad fade. These pads don’t fade on ceramic rotors.
2) The sand you talk about is probably due to ABS damage.
3) The fibres sticking up and being ripped off as well as the high wear rate is overheating of your rotors.
4) The high wear rate of your pads is consistent with what I would expect.

Can you please post photos of the pads and rotors. This will tell us a lot!

Good luck!

Stephen
Old 09-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

mark,
also if you're willing to total $ cost p/l for the new brake package?
Old 09-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Mark GT2
Advanced

It's going to be $13K plus labor.....
Old 09-09-2003, 08:57 PM
JeffES
Pro

First, Mark - let us know @ those brakes. I've heard very positive things.
Second, FixedWing - it's tough without closer examination, but there's an issue here: is the grit (sand) coming from pad wear or is it coming from the ceramic compound failing? I'd sure like to take a close look, and I'd be very surprised if no one @ PAG were also very interested.
J
Old 09-09-2003, 09:54 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Why couldn't you just use front GT3 MKII cast iron rotors on the front and the rear and nto change calipers?
Old 09-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Mark GT2
Advanced

JeffES: The "sand" is coming from the ceramic rotor itself. It was starting to disintigrate.

brh986: I could have - but I believe that the brake system I selected will be better overall. We'll see.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:51 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark:

Are you going to Pocono?

I would like to catch a ride in your GT2. I will not be running but plan to go up on Sunday to catch a few rides.

Kam
Old 09-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great review on PCCB!
I'm a reluctant returning customer to Porsche after having not owned a Porsche for 10 years or so. My son and I recently placed orders for 2 GT3s with a March delivery date.
I originally placed the order for mine with PCCB, then changed to no PCCB. Now after reading your post, I'm convinced I made the right decision. Thank-you for the comprehensive and thoughtful post.
Porsche sales people I have encountered either have very little product knowledge, or don't want the truth to interfere with their commission. Asked about PCCB, all I got from the dealer was the factory literature. Surely with all the customer experiences recited on the Internet, they must know what is going on! Unfortunately, this type of response from one's dealer does not inspire trust or confidence.
Thanks to Rennlist for being a great resource!

Quick Reply: Another PCCB story