Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just did PDX with 60 minutes hard driving, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Petersa9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did PDX with 60 minutes hard driving, now what?

I am very new to performance driving and Porsche maintenance. I just did a PDX event at the Milwaukee Mile last night where I did 60 minutes of all out racing. I am wondering what I should check and or change post event. I apologize if this is redundant to another posting. Here is where I am now:

- Oil change, last changed 2000 miles ago
- check brake pads
- Check tire pressures
- Check lug nut torque
- Coolant levels
- check tread depth
- Specific wear items, joints, etc....?

Still planning on replacing AOS and water pump time permitting.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What tires/suspension/aero did you have and were you running clockwise or counter? What was your top speed?

If nothing was smoking after and idled and ran good, that's always a good sign. Did your oil level fall any after the run? Oil pressure still the same?

If doing high g left handed sweepers continuously, you could always inspect cylinder walls(esp 4-6) with borescope if you're paranoid.

Otherwise you're probably ok but I would plan on getting some track reinforcement if you plan on doing a lot of track events(upgraded baffle, second pump, accusump, Motorsport AOS, etc).
Old 05-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Petersa9
Rennlist Member

Bridstone Potenza S-02A's on stock C4S suspension. We did the oval and the infield road course, but it was 75% clockwise. Reached speeds around 115-120mph.

Oil level may have moved down a touch, but its negligible. Did consume 1.2 tanks of fuel though!

I was looking at the upgraded deep sump kit, but wasn't aware of a different baffle.

I am planning 2-6 events this year, no more, just don't have the time for it, not to mention dealing with all the ongoing maintenance.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Petersa9
I am very new to performance driving and Porsche maintenance. I just did a PDX event at the Milwaukee Mile last night where I did 60 minutes of all out racing. I am wondering what I should check and or change post event. I apologize if this is redundant to another posting. Here is where I am now:

- Oil change, last changed 2000 miles ago
- check brake pads
- Check tire pressures
- Check lug nut torque
- Coolant levels
- check tread depth
- Specific wear items, joints, etc....?

Still planning on replacing AOS and water pump time permitting.
If anything bad happened it would have made itself known on the track. I'm thinking any suspension wear items, joints, etc.

Your list of things to check is pretty complete.

Essentially you check vital fluid levels and brake pads and rotor condition.

If you have considered it I'd get the car in the air and check for any fluid leaks, particularly from the water pump, and the engine.

Tire inflation pressures and check for excessive wear. On the track it is possible the inner edges of the rear tires received considerable wear so you want to be sure you check the full width of the rear tires for wear.

I would only add that next time you show up at the track you show up with fresh oil in the engine and fresh brake fluid in the braking system. While 2K miles is not that much on the oil if that 2K was racked up from short trips the oil can be a bit contaminated with water and while this will boil off in the heat of tracking it would be better to show up with no water in the oil at all.

Provided the car runs ok, steers ok, feels ok on the road, I'd say that is a good sign there's nothing amiss.

'course, you have to pay attention to the car all the time, not just a few miles after some track time.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Petersa9
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. As if I didn't have enough high maintenance women in my life. Buddy of mine has a lift and alignment system. Will take a good look this week.

She ran like a champ. Miatas, Mustangs, Sub's, Evo's, and a few AMG Mercs ate my dust. It was great watching people trying to chase me through the mambo section and dip tires off the track. Man this car is amazing!

Quick Reply: Just did PDX with 60 minutes hard driving, now what?