996 C4S vs 2011 Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 05:32 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 996 C4S vs 2011 Boxster Spyder

Hi all,

Just wanted to share a few thoughts from driving my friend's Spyder...it's LOTS of fun and revs freely and drive much lighter than I expected, both weight as as well as steering. The looks are sexy and the engine sound is terrific(in the higher RPMs). That said, it was VERY difficult getting in/out of the car w/ the bucket seats and definitely not recommended for daily driving. The ride quality was actually quite nice w/ the 19" wheels, and surprisingly softer/more comfortable than my C4S(w/ PSS 9 shocks and 18" wheels). In addition, the clutch and shifter were both buttery soft, though some may complain that it's almost Honda like(is that a complement). The brakes are similar in size to my C4S, but they feel more power-assisted.

Well, now back to my C4S. It's just a totally different car - it drives heavier/stiffer, and actually felt a bit more solid. The clutch and short shifter almost felt "old school" compared with the Spyder. However, I really like the stronger torque and roar from my engine sound vs. the Spyder.
At the end of the day, I'd LOVE the have the Spyder as well...but given the price difference and pros/cons between the two cars, I would not consider paying another $25k+ to trade...and I LOVE my C4S.

P.S. I think the shift in chassis is probably similar to when I went from my 1989 Carrera Cab to the 996 C4S...modern engineering is terrific, but steering feel of old school sometimes is also important, and for me, I like it more.

PL

Last edited by bzliteyear; 05-13-2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

IMO, Porsche's 986 & 987 mid-engine modern cars (Cayman & Boxster) are the ultimate driving/handling cars (save for GT3s and similar), but they are not the all-around cruisers that 996s are.
From my experience, the 996 does everything well including attacking the curves, track driving, and daily driving.
The Cayman/Boxster, especially the R and Spyder models, are more geared toward track and DE duty than the 996 line is in general, and in that they do a few things better than 996s.

But, they are not quite the same car for comfort/convenience and all-day cruising that the 996 is.
I truly enjoyed my 996 C4 and may own another 996 someday, but my first modern Porsche was my Cayman S and it has held my affection better and longer than any Porsche I have ever had.

I don't use a Porsche for daily driving or driving across the country, so at this point the only 996 that would tempt me to trade the Cayman is a 996/997 GT3.

996/997 vs 986/987 is all about what you're looking for in a Porsche. It's nice to have choices.....

Quick Reply: 996 C4S vs 2011 Boxster Spyder