996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 temperature water too high

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:38 PM
Thumbie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles are on the water pump? They go out like clockwork between 60k and 80k
Old 05-05-2015, 04:56 PM
flightoficarus
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Thumbie
How many miles are on the water pump? They go out like clockwork between 60k and 80k
Are you sure? Should I be worried at 74k miles?
Old 05-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Neil_Ireland
Intermediate

My water pump was replaced last week at 92k miles.
It was in perfect condition and the original from new, 1998 C2.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:11 AM
06stef
Intermediate

96000 km -> 60k it' this possible the water pump....
Old 05-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by flightoficarus
Are you sure? Should I be worried at 74k miles?
Not worried worried, but just aware the water pump can fail at any time and to be on the alert to the water pump giving some warning.

The water pump gives some warning when its on its way out. Noise. The water pump in my Boxster started to grumble/rumble at around 172K miles. Might add that as soon as I had confirmed the water pump as the source of the noise, I flat bedded the car to the dealer to have the water pump (and T-Stat) replaced. I didn't even risk the 25 miles drive to the dealer. I point this out to help sway those that like to nurse a suspected water pump. It is in doing this that risks the thing developing enough bearing play to let the impeller blades contact the block and this can result in much more serious engine problems.

Or the thing can leak. I caught my Turbo's water pump from the odor of anti-freeze on a hot day. A check by the tech with the car in the air spotted signs of a leak, though no coolant was hitting the ground. Oh, the Turbo's water pump lasted around 120K miles. I admit I did drive the Turbo to the dealership, but it was just less than a mile away. And I was prepared to shut off the engine at the first sign of any trouble. Obviously the thing had been leaking a while as there was a nice lump of dried anti-freeze residue built up to the point it was being kept topped off by the pulley.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:58 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm also due for water pump preventive replacement. I also wonder if and how the cooling fan kick-in setting can be reprogrammed and lowered? Durametric?
Old 05-06-2015, 01:20 PM
Joe Ricard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Them very smart German engineers set those temp levels on purpose. warmer engine makes better combustion and power. to a point.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:20 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
I'm also due for water pump preventive replacement. I also wonder if and how the cooling fan kick-in setting can be reprogrammed and lowered? Durametric?
No, Durametric can't do that. Your mkII should not run that hot though. Do you have high temp issues?
Old 05-07-2015, 01:34 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahsai
No, Durametric can't do that. Your mkII should not run that hot though. Do you have high temp issues?
Not really. I have't measured it with an accurate thermometer but in spirited runs and stop and go driving the gauge sits to the left edge of the 0 mark sometimes it creeps in just a little, but when I drive in the highways it's closer to the middle mark or on the right edge of the 8.

I think I'm ok but if the engine runs a bit cooler won't that reduce stress on its components?

One thing I'm going to do is go with the low temp thermostat after seeing all the arguments a while back. So I figure new water pump, coolant flush, low temp thermostat and I should be good for a while. So I don't know. Do you think a more aggressive cooling regiment is a good idea?
Old 05-07-2015, 01:49 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Not really. I have't measured it with an accurate thermometer but in spirited runs and stop and go driving the gauge sits to the left edge of the 0 mark sometimes it creeps in just a little, but when I drive in the highways it's closer to the middle mark or on the right edge of the 8.

I think I'm ok but if the engine runs a bit cooler won't that reduce stress on its components?

One thing I'm going to do is go with the low temp thermostat after seeing all the arguments a while back. So I figure new water pump, coolant flush, low temp thermostat and I should be good for a while. So I don't know. Do you think a more aggressive cooling regiment is a good idea?
It sounds like you don't really have a problem but all those are good PM though. I think the stock cooling setup for mkII is not bad to begin with but a low temp thermostat does help lowering the average coolant temp in moderate stop and go traffic and hghway traffic.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Not sure if Durametric (or Porsche) supports cooling fan stage customization.

Really it is not necessary. As long as the system is pressure tight and filled with something reasonable ini the anti-freeze/water department (though of course I'd advise one to stick to the Porsche anti-freeze) and as long as the fans are working properly the car can take any heat you can throw at it.

As I have mentioned before I had my Boxster in 116F heat and the coolant temperature climbed to 226F and stayed there. The fans were running all the time and on high speed too. It was so hot the engine compartment fan was on I think even at highway speeds. I could here it running when I slowed down enough to hear it over the road/wind noise.

The car/engine was fine but I had never been in that high ambient temperature condition and that far from home (I was in AZ and I lived in the mid-MO area at th time) under such conditions, so I was a bit of a nervous wreck.

When I got home I stopped at the dealer and spoke with the SM who took down all the details and submitted a query to the factory about the high heat and what if anything could have happened. The factory replied back that as long as no warning lights came on, no warning messages appeared there was no problem. And that was many many miles ago and the engine has run just fine ever since.

Might add since then I have encountered at other times conditions that have the coolant temperature "pegged" at 226F and the engine doesn't miss a beat.

I'd drive though the gates of Hell with my Boxster and its cooling system. (Same goes for the Turbo, for the Turbo's cooling system is even better at keeping the engine cool in all kinds of high temp/high load conditions.)
Old 05-07-2015, 02:43 AM
flightoficarus
8th Gear

Thank you
Old 05-07-2015, 02:59 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Macster and Ahsai, thank you both. A lot of good feedback.

Honestly I'm a bit surprised at how well the cooling system works on these cars. Once I warmed up the engine and drove for a while and the system temp never got hot enough to require the fan - even low speed - to kick in. That, I thought, was awesome!
Old 05-07-2015, 10:30 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
It sounds like you don't really have a problem
+996

This should be the response to 67.89% of the posts here.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
+996

This should be the response to 67.89% of the posts here.
I guess that's the hypochondriac in me.

Quick Reply: 996 temperature water too high