Sponsored by:

1999 throw out bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 01:14 PM
Jaybatl911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 throw out bearing question

I have a 99 Carrera with a 6-speed. I noticed a few weeks ago a whining noise - sort of like a belt slipping - when I give the car gas and start releasing the clutch pedal. I told my mechanic about it and he replaced the idle pulley. But the noise was still there. I took it back and asked him to let me drive him because maybe I'm not shifting properly.

Yes, he said I was giving it too much gas and shifting too quickly (from first to second). And then the noise happened. He immediately said throw out bearing but added that as long as it's not "clicking or rattling" I'm ok. Once I hear the clicking or rattling that's when I need to bring it in and since I drive this car weekends only I'm hoping it lasts a while before having to replace the throw out bearing.

But I also wanted opinions on this noise. None of the posts I've read have ever mentioned this lose belt-like noise being the throw out bearing. Everyone writes about rattling noises.

Has anyone else heard anything like this? Was it the throw out bearing?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybatl911
I have a 99 Carrera with a 6-speed. I noticed a few weeks ago a whining noise - sort of like a belt slipping - when I give the car gas and start releasing the clutch pedal. I told my mechanic about it and he replaced the idle pulley. But the noise was still there. I took it back and asked him to let me drive him because maybe I'm not shifting properly.

Yes, he said I was giving it too much gas and shifting too quickly (from first to second). And then the noise happened. He immediately said throw out bearing but added that as long as it's not "clicking or rattling" I'm ok. Once I hear the clicking or rattling that's when I need to bring it in and since I drive this car weekends only I'm hoping it lasts a while before having to replace the throw out bearing.

But I also wanted opinions on this noise. None of the posts I've read have ever mentioned this lose belt-like noise being the throw out bearing. Everyone writes about rattling noises.

Has anyone else heard anything like this? Was it the throw out bearing?

Thanks
The only throw out bearing problem I have had was with my 1996 Mustang GT when at over 140K miles I pressed down on the clutch and the bearing emitted a horrible screech/squeal. It continued to do this every time I shifted as I drove the car to the dealer to have the clutch (and throw out bearing) replaced.

If the clutch throwout (release) bearing is quiet when cold drive the car around until the engine and drive train are up to temperature. If you ever hear/feel anything from the clutch when you depress the clutch pedal or while releasing it, that's almost certainly a release bearing.

I'd not wait for the thing to get worse. I'd schedule the car in for a new clutch and of course release bearing ASAP.

If you hear any noise that is not affected by pressing in or releasing the clutch that's something else. Could be a noisy serpentine belt idler or tensioner roller bearing or an accessory drive, with the water pump being the most likely source.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Winterreise
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 99 C2 with 90k and occasionally hear a soft squeal when releasing the clutch from a complete stop but only when the drive train is completely up to operating temperature. The squeal lasts one second only. The clutch was inspected and deemed fresh enough to leave in from the PO when he had the IMS/RMS/AOS done about 5k miles ago. The PO an indie Porsche mechanic who owns ROCS in NJ. I took his word for it and bought the car. I am certain that what I am hearing is clutch related. It is not advanced enough to remove the gearbox and replace right now. The clutch bites very well. No slippage at all.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try getting the car up to temperature, open the door at standstill, and then try out the clutch. Mine made a horrible sound, also with the engine off. The noise is was only audible from outside the car.

This happened after installing a new clutch, fallout bearing, the works.

Have a listen

Something like this?

Last edited by Arne Klinge; 04-30-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:38 AM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

My throw out bearing started whining at about 65k miles. When i would depress the clutch it would go away. I changed the entire clutch assembly as it didnt make sense to do all that work and leave the old clutch disc in there.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:38 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne Klinge

Something like this?
Arne
Did you ever find out what was causing the noise you were getting in your video clip? If so what was It from and how did you resolve it?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996pp
Arne
Did you ever find out what was causing the noise you were getting in your video clip? If so what was It from and how did you resolve it?
This thread https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post11493527 was the last discussion about the "rusty barn door sound".

I do not quite know in detail what was wrong, but there is an explanation there that you can read.

Quick Reply: 1999 throw out bearing question