Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

can I trust a big chain tire shop to align my 996?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubrubb
I won't be attending. Have an event at Qualcomm down here in San Diego this weekend.

I might have to make the trip in the future if the Chargers move to LA and we lose Qualcomm's parking lot for autocross fun.
Well if you ever do just pm me and you can show me the ropes, I always wanted to do an auto x event.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Not as idiot proof as it should be. Early in my ownership of my 996, I was having tires installed at a big tire chain and they offered an alignment. I reluctantly agreed. Not long after I agreed, they called me back to the shop floor and said that they couldn't do the alignment because there was too much wear in the suspension bushings and this resulted in play in the suspension. I told them to leave it alone and I would get an alignment elsewhere. My independent Porsche mechanic aligned it perfectly. There was no play in the system at all. They were either idiots or crooks. I prefer to stay away from either of these options.
Crooks, of course.

When I did my tires about two months ago, a guy came over and said you should change your brakes. I went and looked at the pads and there was at least 60% left on them. So I said no thanks. The reality is they try to make a buck in every angle possible.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP - RE: Family Motors. Although I am in NE PA my C4S came from Bakersfield and was serviced by Family Motors. They were extremely attentive and responsive in working with me long distance. I had a PPI performed by them and they noted the service work that they had performed on the car. I then had a Post Purchase Inspection performed by my dealer when the car arrived. Family Motors inspection report was spot on accurate and the work they performed was of high quality, even my local tech was impressed with the quality and completeness of their work.

Specific to the alignment, I still have the e-mail where they state alignment previously performed and in spec. 2 years later I was having a rear axle seal replaced and an alignment was a part of that repair. My dealer captures the alignment specs prior to and after performing the alignment. The prior specs were still in spec. Alignment here costs $285.00 at the dealer so $345.00 for your area sounds reasonable. Note my C4S is stock so I can't vouch for their work on after market components.

It has been over 3 years since I dealt with Family Motors and perhaps things have changed. Service advisor I worked with there was Tambi Perazzo.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:33 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
To the OP - RE: Family Motors. Although I am in NE PA my C4S came from Bakersfield and was serviced by Family Motors. They were extremely attentive and responsive in working with me long distance. I had a PPI performed by them and they noted the service work that they had performed on the car. I then had a Post Purchase Inspection performed by my dealer when the car arrived. Family Motors inspection report was spot on accurate and the work they performed was of high quality, even my local tech was impressed with the quality and completeness of their work.

Specific to the alignment, I still have the e-mail where they state alignment previously performed and in spec. 2 years later I was having a rear axle seal replaced and an alignment was a part of that repair. My dealer captures the alignment specs prior to and after performing the alignment. The prior specs were still in spec. Alignment here costs $285.00 at the dealer so $345.00 for your area sounds reasonable. Note my C4S is stock so I can't vouch for their work on after market components.

It has been over 3 years since I dealt with Family Motors and perhaps things have changed. Service advisor I worked with there was Tambi Perazzo.
There is a different service advisor now. But I've only had a PPI done that the potential owner paid for and a key fob programmed so I can't say I do or don't trust them I am just stating their reviews aren't the best and they have a small dealer.

Quick Reply: can I trust a big chain tire shop to align my 996?