Sponsored by:

1999 Carerra w/GT3 Aerokit

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:10 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 Carerra w/GT3 Aerokit

Just acquired about 6 weeks ago. Arena Red & Grey int., Manual, 46k miles. Will be posting some pictures soon. I put it in the shop and had the IMS bearing upgrade, new clutch, and rear main seal done. The car had an Alpine radio which I have taken out along with 75lbs. of amplifier/equalizer from the frunk. Want to restore to CDR-220 radio as I think that was the only thing not original on the car. What is good source for the CDR220 ?
Old 04-17-2015, 11:34 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by perretar
Just acquired about 6 weeks ago. Arena Red & Grey int., Manual, 46k miles. Will be posting some pictures soon. I put it in the shop and had the IMS bearing upgrade, new clutch, and rear main seal done. The car had an Alpine radio which I have taken out along with 75lbs. of amplifier/equalizer from the frunk. Want to restore to CDR-220 radio as I think that was the only thing not original on the car. What is good source for the CDR220 ?
I've sold two; one via ebay and one here on Rennlist. I'd post a wanted to buy in the members section and check ebay. Make sure it has the code although those can be obtained if you have a serial number. If you want a CDC-3, I have one in the garage, PM me. I wouldn't want much for it.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:48 AM
RedTele
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

CDR-220 easy to find on eBay. Also watch the Boxster forum. (986forum.com)

I've purchased several in the $100-$150 range. Don't spend more than that - there are plenty around.

Also may want to check w/ Oklahoma Foreign, (405) 799-0644. Gary usually has a few sitting around.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:01 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Make sure you get get one with good *****. These ***** tend to get gooey over time.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Brainfry
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a 220 I'll unload. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks,

B
Old 04-17-2015, 03:13 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking forward to pics! I like an aerokit car!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:42 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Glad to see another Taco owner onboard. Definitely need pics. I too have an Arena Red and grey interior with factory Aerokit. I don't think there are many of us around.

How did you locate yours? Any chance you'd share how much you purchased it for?
Old 04-18-2015, 02:19 PM
vbcracer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have a 2000 996 with taco tail and it's arena red but with Savanna Beige interior.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:42 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

01 black/black C4 with the Taco here. I used to see a red Taco from time to time near my old office and I know there is at least one other black/black taco in my area too.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Send the radio to Becker Autosound in NJ. They service OEM radios. Can also add a jack for your phone so yiu can play audio from it
Old 04-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry thought you had one. Try them anyway, they may have one
Old 04-19-2015, 12:25 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Glad to see another Taco owner onboard. Definitely need pics. I too have an Arena Red and grey interior with factory Aerokit. I don't think there are many of us around.

How did you locate yours? Any chance you'd share how much you purchased it for?
Only have 2 pics of 996 for now. Will take more tomorrow. So how did I locate it, well it actually located me, and it's a long & crazy story. I've told it a dozen times, each time it gets a little shorter. This will be the minimum relavent facts. On March 1 at 8:30am, I traded my white 2014 Cayman for the 2014 Amaranth Red CaymanS in a LaQuinta motel parking lot. This was the culmination of a 3 week phone negotiation with Performance Porsche in Durham, NC. Note that March 1 was a Sunday. My SA, and his little brother, had driven my new Red Cayman from Durham to my home location, Slidell, La the day before. With 1.5 hr traffic delay in Montgomery, Al. it was a 12 hr trip for them. There's nother crazy story behind the reasons for and delivery process itself, but I wont go into that here. So its Sunday 9am, where to go drive the new car. Decided to go to Baton Rouge (85miles) to surprise brother-in-law Mark with the new car. After I tell him all about the parking lot transaction we take off for a demo ride. He says " Go down Highland Rd., I was coming home from LSU game last nite and I saw an older classic 911 in somebodies driveway out the corner of my eye, I think it had a 4-sale sign in the window, lets check it out". And you guessed it I bought the Arena Red taco911 on the spur of the moment that same afternoon. It was a crazy awesome day. Taco is a '99 and has 46k miles, I paid 23K. Good condition, had lot of maintenance documentation from respected local indy mech. I have since spent another 3K to upgrade the IMS bearing, replace clutch and the RMS. Car drives great, I cant believe it is as much fun to drive as the Cayman S which has Manual trans and X73. The previous owner had a set of high end aftermarket wheels on the 996 which he transferred to his new 2010 Carrera. And the wheels on Taco are the from the 2010 Carrera. Said he searched 3 years before he found the Taco 911 and really wanted a black one, but gave up and settled for the Arena Red. He loved the car and hated to let it go, but kind of had to because the wife cant drive a manual. His new 2010 is PDK. The previous owner just happens to be the Director of Photography for the New Orleans Saints. So he staged the two cars with me and brother-in-law Mark in between, gets on top of 6' step ladder to shoot the driveway picture.
Attached Images       

Last edited by perretar; 04-19-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:27 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by perretar
Only have 2 pics of 996 for now. Will take more tomorrow. So how did I locate it, well it actually located me, and it's a long & crazy story. I've told it a dozen times, each time it gets a little shorter. This will be the minimum relavent facts. On March 1 at 8:30am, I traded my white 2014 Cayman for the 2014 Amaranth Red CaymanS in a LaQuinta motel parking lot. This was the culmination of a 3 week phone negotiation with Performance Porsche in Durham, NC. Note that March 1 was a Sunday. My SA, and his little brother, had driven my new Red Cayman from Durham to my home location, Slidell, La the day before. With 1.5 hr traffic delay in Montgomery, Al. it was a 12 hr trip for them. There's nother crazy story behind the reasons for and delivery process itself, but I wont go into that here. So its Sunday 9am, where to go drive the new car. Decided to go to Baton Rouge (85miles) to surprise brother-in-law Mark with the new car. After I tell him all about the parking lot transaction we take off for a demo ride. He says " Go down Highland Rd., I was coming home from LSU game last nite and I saw an older classic 911 in somebodies driveway out the corner of my eye, I think it had a 4-sale sign in the window, lets check it out". And you guessed it I bought the Arena Red taco911 on the spur of the moment that same afternoon. It was a crazy awesome day. Taco is a '99 and has 46k miles, I paid 23K. Good condition, had lot of maintenance documentation from respected local indy mech. I have since spent another 3K to upgrade the IMS bearing, replace clutch and the RMS. Car drives great, I cant believe it is as much fun to drive as the Cayman S which has Manual trans and X73. The previous owner had a set of high end aftermarket wheels on the 996 which he transferred to his new 2010 Carrera. And the wheels on Taco are the from the 2010 Carrers. Said he searched 3 years before he found the Taco 911 and really wanted a black one, but gave up and settled for the Arena Red. He loved the car and hated to let it go, but kind of had to because the wife cant drive a manual. His new 2010 is PDK. The previous owner just happens to be the Director of Photography for the New Orleans Saints. So he staged the two cars with me and brother-in-law Mark in between, gets on top of 6' step ladder to shoot the driveway picture.
Never seen these rims on a 996.1 aero. Looks like a solid car

Quick Reply: 1999 Carerra w/GT3 Aerokit