996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 3.4L Misfire replaced plugs replaced coil P0303 Just reinstalled engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Stevespeed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 3.4L Misfire replaced plugs replaced coil P0303 Just reinstalled engine

Hello All,
I am new to 996 ownership. I recently bought a 996 with the infamous cracked head problem. Got the head rewelded after reading tons of Dharn's posts about his issue he had with his. While I had the engine out I replaced as much as I could. (I will spare you gents with the complete listing of all that was replaced).

Just got everything back into the car and started driving around and started to get a misfire on Bank 1, Cylinder 3. This after about 400 miles on the car
It through a check engine light and I pulled the code for P0303, as well as P1539 (VarioCam Soleniod Bank 2).

So the misfire has been contained to Bank 1 Cylinder 3.
I recently put in 6 new Beru 14 FGR-6 KQU Spark plugs when I had the engine out. As soon as this misfire started happening I just replaced all the coil packs because the car was still on the OEM Set, all the Part Numbers on the coils were 996 602 107 00

I had recently replaced 2 coil packs before due to me thinking I had 2 bad coil packs on Cylinders 1 and 2. Those ended up not being bad so I used one of my old coil packs on Cylinder 3 and that worked for a day or so then crapped out.

So then I just replaced all of the coils to the 997 revised coil packs so the entire ignition system has a grand total of 300 miles on it.

The car runs beautifully but at higher RPM's under heavy load specifically after a brisk shift I will get a misfire momentarily then it will go away, only in 2nd sometimes but usually in 3rd Gear.

Its been mind boggling to say the least.
I went through and tone tested the grounds in the coil pack harness to the engine case and that shows fine.

I am at a loss, I would greatly appreciate any help you guys could offer, I read through probably 90 other misfire threads at this point before making this thread.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

You can swap the coils and spark plugs between cyl 2 and 3 and see. If that still gives you P0303, you may want a compression and leak down test at least on all cylinders in bank 1 so you can compare the numbers. Then fuel injector #3 is next.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Btw you may also want to check the 2 big round engine connectors for corrosion on the contacts. Spray deoxit on them and reconnect.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

if you are getting the misfire at high revs under hard acceleration it could be plugged cats.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Stevespeed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents,

I found the problem. It was not plugged cats (although that was my next step). It seems that in my efforts to diagnose a different misfire I had earlier I had used a multimeter incorrectly on the Coil Pack Plugs.
Therefore the connector from the engine harness to the actual coil pack on coil 3 the pins were shoved apart far more than usual.
I used essentially a dentist pick for cleaning teeth (actually it was a tool I used for replacing key cylinders on E39 BMWs). Pushed the pins back together and solved the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply: 996 3.4L Misfire replaced plugs replaced coil P0303 Just reinstalled engine