Sponsored by:

Need help planning a 911 route

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 09:46 AM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need help planning a 911 route

From Atlanta to Hot Springs, VA. Will be doing this in July, as part of a longer round trip. I want to be able to do it in time to have dinner at the Homestead. I can leave Atlanta bright and early (weekday morning). I'm looking for as much backroad as possible, without making it longer than 10 hours or so.

I know the upper Appalachian highlands very well (VA & WV), but need some help with the Carolinas, Tennessee? and Jawga. All suggestions will be appreciated.

I will obviously use available resources, but any tips for portions of the route that are recommended, or that maybe look good on a map, but should be avoided, etc.

Last edited by thebowl; 04-08-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:24 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You should go into North Carolina and hit the Tail of the Dragon. "Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road." This is pretty much a must visit road. If possible I would recommend doing it on a weekday so there will be less traffic. Stop and view the 'Tree of Shame' and buy a T-shirt or a decal for your car.

This is a great link for routes up in the Deals Gap area.

Then there's always the Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful scenic mountain roads with some nice elevation changes and curves. These will be slower and much less exciting than the Tail of the Dragon but still very nice drives.

If you get off the Interstate, pretty much anywhere up in this area will be some fabulous driving. Extreme North Georgia has some great roads as well.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:48 AM
PA1NKILR
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of great routes in this site. Please check it out.

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/gts
Old 04-08-2015, 12:29 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Thanks! I also found a site, Motoring Con Brio, which mentioned the tail of the dragon.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Zenski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hwy 28 south of the dragon is an awesome road or the blue ridge parkway (but the speed limit is only 45).
Pretty much anywhere near the dragon is great.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:20 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Gonna have to plug in a night at the Grove Park Inn. Asheville appears to be a hub for well-shaped pavement.

I must confess that have always conflated the Blue Ridge with the Skyline Drive, which I have driven several times, including in my 996. I did not realize that it went that far south. But the 45 MPH limit (coupled with the fact that it will be July, with lots of tourists) leaves me very leery of it. I am a big fan of true back roads with more deer than cars (i.e., West Virginia). I'm gonna have to think about what is shaping up to be the Asheville-Homestead link.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hitting The Dragon from Atlanta is certainly doable. Add an extra hour to your trip itinerary to account for the time spent driving it (and doubling back) plus the requisite stop at Deals Gap. It's a great road at 6-7 AM. With traffic its a roll of the dice. But if you're in the area, you gotta do it. Be advised, if on The Dragon over a summer weekend, traffic enforcement is sometimes aggressive to the extreme (1 LEO per mile).

Once done with the Dragon its getting nigh on time for some real mountain driving. Head out 28 South (very nice if traffic allows from Deals Gap until it opens to multi-lane ) to 74 east (Highway) and take the Balsam Gap ramp for the BRP.

Once on the BRP heading towards Asheville, take the 215 exit down the mountain (north towards Waynesville) and then back up the mountain on 276 South (where 215 meets 276) putting you back up on the BRP again. If time allows, go back down the mountain on the other side on 276 towards Brevard. Turn around and make the run back up to BRP on 276 (backtracking). If you have a wimmenz in the car with you she will be puking by now (if you're doing it right)

By then you will probably be ready to call it a day and head to Asheville. Map it out and if you need more seat time, it can be done no problem.

From Asheville, I would just take the BRP to Roanoake, then shortest route to Hot Springs. Should be doable if you leave Asheville at a reasonable hour.

Sure, you are not going to be squealing tires around any tight mountain hairpins on this leg but the 45 MPH limit is not as onerous as it sounds. Some people I know consider it a 'suggestion'. I have found that most tourists pull off into the next overlook when you come up on them.

The combination of the scenery, the moderate twisties and the cool mountain air in the summer make for a very pleasant experience.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 04-08-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:20 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shadetree930
Hitting The Dragon from Atlanta is certainly doable. Add an extra hour to your trip itinerary to account for the time spent driving it (and doubling back) plus the requisite stop at Deals Gap. It's a great road at 6-7 AM. With traffic its a roll of the dice. But if you're in the area, you gotta do it. Be advised, if on The Dragon over a summer weekend, traffic enforcement is sometimes aggressive to the extreme (1 LEO per mile).

Once done with the Dragon its getting nigh on time for some real mountain driving. Head out 28 South (very nice if traffic allows from Deals Gap until it opens to multi-lane ) to 74 east (Highway) and take the Balsam Gap ramp for the BRP.

Once on the BRP heading towards Asheville, take the 215 exit down the mountain (north towards Waynesville) and then back up the mountain on 276 South (where 215 meets 276) putting you back up on the BRP again. If time allows, go back down the mountain on the other side on 276 towards Brevard. Turn around and make the run back up to BRP on 276 (backtracking). If you have a wimmenz in the car with you she will be puking by now (if you're doing it right)

By then you will probably be ready to call it a day and head to Asheville. Map it out and if you need more seat time, it can be done no problem.

From Asheville, I would just take the BRP to Roanoake, then shortest route to Hot Springs. Should be doable if you leave Asheville at a reasonable hour.

Sure, you are not going to be squealing tires around any tight mountain hairpins on this leg but the 45 MPH limit is not as onerous as it sounds. Some people I know consider it a 'suggestion'. I have found that most tourists pull off into the next overlook when you come up on them.

The combination of the scenery, the moderate twisties and the cool mountain air in the summer make for a very pleasant experience.
Thanks, Shade, for the authoritative post. I am taking careful notes. It looks like the Cherohala Skyway will fit into an ATL>Asheville trip rather easily. I'm guessing you have driven it? The Missus holds her groceries pretty well, actually. And I have tested her, for sure.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Cherohala is a long sweeper type road versus The Dragon which is a more technical road. It would compare to the BRP. If it fits into the route without putting you off schedule I would certainly add it to the list. LEO and traffic will be thinner as well. Don't get over confident on the longer downhill sweeps. They can gather you up real quick if you get too cocky.

And before anyone says anything ... NO this was not me spinning out.

Quick Reply: Need help planning a 911 route