Sponsored by:

Automatic transmission service interval

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:10 PM
sstrickstein
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automatic transmission service interval

My wife and I have a 2000 Carrera Cabriolet. Today she just hit 100000 miles. We have owned the car since 82000 miles. With other german cars I have owned the 100000 mile mark seems to be when you change the transmission filter and fluid. I have several questions for this group.

1. Should I only use Porsche Fluid from the dealer or some other brand?
2. Porsche website says that I don't have to replace the fluid or filter and the differential fluid until 120000 miles. What experience do people here have?
3. Do you really have to pull the side cover bolts off the differential on an automatic to drain it?

Thank you for the help. I want to keep her a happy 911 for many years to come.

Last edited by sstrickstein; 03-26-2015 at 09:13 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 03-27-2015, 12:09 AM
vu.q.le
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure love to get this answered
Old 03-27-2015, 03:02 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Tip service interval is in the owners manual. I can't recall if it is 60K miles or 90K miles. It may even be 120K miles. When you go pick up the fluid from the dealer parts department have the parts manager look up the service interval for your car.

If you do it yourself, use the Porsche stuff. Why change now with 100K miles on the tranny? If you thought the Porsche fluid sub-par you should have changed it long before now.

I believe the drain technique for the Tip diff is to siphon the fluid out the drain hole. The unit should be warm. 0.7 to 0.9 quarts of fluid should be removed.

0.9 quarts must be put back in. Slowly.

I do not off hand have any idea of what the Tip fluid/filter service involves. There are I am sure DIY articles around. Whether they are any good I have no idea.

For tranny/diff fluid services I let the dealer service department do this. I changed the tranny fluid in one transmission, a manual. All went reasonably well it is just a nasty mess to do. Never again.

The Tip requires some special steps to do right. If you are going to do it wrong you'd better off not doing it at all. While the Tip would eventually succumb at least it would take longer.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission service interval