996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Upgraded engine due to IMS failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 PM
BsixSfour
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded engine due to IMS failure?

How's it going everybody. My father has a 2003 C4S that suffered what must've been an IMS failure a couple years ago. Luckily, it was still under warranty and Porsche replaced the engine.

I read somewhere on here that the engine Porsche puts in is upgraded? What exactly is the difference?

[Off topic] I'm looking into getting him the clear side markers. Is there any preferred site to order from?

Also, any cheap or essential mods you guys recommend?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Ryan...
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be off, but it's not a better engine, rather it should have had a better IMS bearing installed which is one of the most common causes of engine failure. Search IMS in this subsection and you'll find a million threads from the past month regarding the IMS bearing.

"Essential mods" are completely subjective. Other than a Gundo Hack (search for it on youtube), different wheels, shift ****, and lowering springs I plan on keeping mine stock.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by BsixSfour
How's it going everybody. My father has a 2003 C4S that suffered what must've been an IMS failure a couple years ago. Luckily, it was still under warranty and Porsche replaced the engine.

I read somewhere on here that the engine Porsche puts in is upgraded? What exactly is the difference?

[Off topic] I'm looking into getting him the clear side markers. Is there any preferred site to order from?

Also, any cheap or essential mods you guys recommend?
If it was "a couple years ago" The replacement engine should have the reliable RMS & bigger diameter IMS bearing version of the original bearing.
Only mod I would do "for your father" is the Michelin tires best suited for his driving style & weather.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:48 PM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur with Ryan...not a better engine and in some ways possibly worse. From mid 2005 onwards (I think; the real Porsche gurus will correct me) the IMS design was changed again, to a version that CANNOT be removed by pulling it externally--you have to split the case to deal with it. I think you can determine which case design your engine has from the engine number. To the best of my knowledge it retains the same basic "failure modes" as the original '03 engine, it just has far fewer years and miles on it.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:45 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Of course it could have been that something broke the IMS bearing and not that the IMS bearing just decided to fail on its own. At this point many people like to just assume the IMS is the fault or source of the larer engine failure...or as you said "what must have been...".

If you think the car has a chance of becoming a family keeper, consider leaving it exactly as it came from the factory. At a certain point in a car's age, mods begin to be frowned upon and detract for the car's value. They say "someone screwed around with this car."
Old 03-21-2015, 04:32 AM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had a motor like that I would add the direct feed oiling gizmo to it.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Direct Oil Feed gizmo =
http://tunersmotorsports.com/?page_id=103

Quick Reply: Upgraded engine due to IMS failure?