Sponsored by:

Hello :) (New Here)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 02:42 PM
eastcoastcab996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frompub2dub
What would a credit union require in order to approve the loan for lets say 20k? or is that even not an option at my age and credit status (about 695ish)
that would be challenging for cu, get the finance guru at the car lot to shop a loan for you.. good luck
Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts

Every Bank and Credit Union will have their own requirements, you will never know until you apply. if you have a paid off loan with BOA then go back to them and see if they will take your repeat business, I've had couple of loans and re-fi with them, good bank but my cars were not that old. Also look in to Baxter credit union, sometimes they have good rates.
All will require a VIN from the car you want to buy and approximate amount you want to finance. Once you apply they will tell you if they are willing to give you finance. Some will tell you upfront that the car needs to be at most X years old ... Most likely if you are doing a private sale they will give you a slightly higher rate than financing through dealer. But sometimes its worth it.

I personally would be hesitant about buying a car from them, or any dealership of such size. Just because there is a greater chance of something being fishy.
However, if you have a good PPI and well documented history......
Old 03-19-2015, 03:56 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
Just a few of the mods I can see from the photos:
-LED rear taillights.
-Front marker lights changed to clear
-HVAC controls moved down and cupholders installed
-Center console and horse collar repainted/replaced
Forgot SS door sills and pedals.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:04 PM
kab1994
Racer

This car looks beautiful. I love the color combo and I am a huge fan of the turbo twist wheels unlike many on this forum. My advice would be to just focus on the maintenance records and understand what has been done recently, and the expense of doing what hasn't been done. Listen to your ppi mechanic and understand what he says the car needs as well. Then adjust your purchase price accordingly!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:13 PM
frompub2dub
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I originally wanted white ext and black interior but this black /beige combo has really grown on me, Its my top choice as of now mainly because white is so hard to find haha
As for records I only have what carfax gives me, I do not have any other records for maintenance. Im curious to see what the PPI comes up with.

How long does PPI usually take?
Old 03-19-2015, 04:17 PM
frompub2dub
Instructor

I didn't see this before on the website but you guys can actually look at the carfax yourself if you haven't already its on the dealers site...

http://www.luxcarschicago.com/web/us...nois/18687481/
Old 03-19-2015, 05:08 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a sharp looking car. Best of luck with the deal. If the PPI comes back good, forget about how many owners have owned it. If it's what you want and they drop a couple of thousand off the deal then think yourself a lucky guy. It's a 99 and that goes a long way in my book for obvious reasons. If you are into DIY work, I would still set aside a couple of grand for PM because you don't have records, ie, brake rotars and pads, all fluids, maybe engine mounts and serpentine belt, coolant pump and thermo, spark plugs and tubes, little odds and sods like that. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:31 PM
frompub2dub
Instructor

So I have the test drive scheduled tomorow morning with the dealership, I also called a Porsche dealership and scheduled a PPI to be done tomorow afternoon right after the test drive. Im hoping all goes well with the PPI

Is there anything specific I should watch/listen for while driving?
When checking under the hood??
Old 03-20-2015, 01:37 PM
eastcoastcab996
Advanced

I would suggest you get qualified for the loan prior to paying for a PPI - good luck !
Old 03-20-2015, 02:01 PM
frompub2dub
Instructor

So run the numbers and see what happens and before signing then go to PPI?
Sounds like a smart idea, thank you sir!
Old 03-20-2015, 03:52 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you have a budget set aside for any future maintenance/repairs?

If you're financing something like this from a Dealer that got it from an auction with unknown history or paperwork and is being sold "as-is", I would either try to get some kind of warranty out of them, especially if you don't know how to work on your own car or have any budget set aside for maintenance/repairs. It just seems like risky proposition. There's nothing worse than paying a car note on a car you might not be able to use or one where you'll have to pour some money into it. If you're also financing it from the dealer, chances are you are also going to be paying higher interest amt.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:01 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're considering trying a credit union take a look at Pen Fed, they always have super low rates and finance older used cars like ours. Customer service is excellent. No affiliation, just a happy customer.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:28 PM
kab1994
Racer

I would say get a PPI at an indie shop versus a dealer
Old 03-20-2015, 04:47 PM
frompub2dub
Instructor

I have quite a bit of experience around a car in general, I've never done anything with a Porsche but my experience on my Volkswagen is very thorough, I am somewhat of a DIY type of guy so besides the pricing of parts the maintenance wont scare me off that much.
For now I will see what the numbers look like at the dealer first and go from there but I def will look into this Pen Fed.
I really want an indy shop to do the test but my work schedule only allows me to have it done on a Saturday and I have not found a shop open on weekends yet besides a dealership. Could anyone recommend one open saturdays in chicago?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:58 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by frompub2dub
So I have the test drive scheduled tomorow morning with the dealership, I also called a Porsche dealership and scheduled a PPI to be done tomorow afternoon right after the test drive. Im hoping all goes well with the PPI Is there anything specific I should watch/listen for while driving? When checking under the hood??
I'd also suggest driving several diff 911s to get an idea of what "normal" is like. And, what ain't normal. If summer time is your goal, you need not rush. I too worry about # of owners, and posted a question about it, and got a lot of thoughtful replies. It's in the 996 subforum. Enjoy the hunt. You're asking all the right questions....T

Quick Reply: Hello :) (New Here)