Sponsored by:

Suspension settings

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Suspension settings

I'm on my third set of tires. Ist set were P-Zeros, second set were R-compund DOT's, and I am back on the P-Zeros. Wore out the outside grooves of the left hand tires on the first two sets, in fact corded the R-compounds. Now beginning to show more outside tread wear on the left hand tires again. All the tracks I go to are clockwise. Had the alignment checked after I corded the R-compounds, and they were at the correct factory specs for C4S.

I am not too comfortable switching left to right on radial tires. Looks like I have to do something other than factory specs. Anyone with suggestions on a good compromise setting for street and track?
Old 08-30-2003, 04:51 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need more negative camber. It's as simple as that. Factory settings will always give you more outside tread wear. R-compound tires require even more negative camber.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:21 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks, Viken. Care to give me a setting to shoot for?

I also notice a more pronounced outer wear on the rear. Does increasing the negative camber more in the rear relative to the front result in a worsening of the oversteer?
Old 08-31-2003, 02:31 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Palting
Thanks, Viken. Care to give me a setting to shoot for?

I also notice a more pronounced outer wear on the rear. Does increasing the negative camber more in the rear relative to the front result in a worsening of the oversteer?
It all depends on what suspension you have. If it is stock, you'll have no luck substantially increasing front negative camber. If you have an aftermarket lowered setup, you might be able to do something about it. I would shoot for -1 degree at least and go from there.

As to the rear, I think you should get it checked out. Stock camber should be - 1º 25' ± 15' which should be somewhat adequate for your purposes. If not, I would go the far end of that range and do -1º 45' and see how that works.

These are aggressive street settings and at the limit of inner tread wear if you drove mostly highways.

Quick Reply: Suspension settings