996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Front brakes grinding

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:17 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Pull fuse B9, E9 & 10 see if it goes away? You might get one brake locking early could point you toward the problem child if it is just one corner acting up.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gricec
To revisit this, I am now getting an intermittent ABS Failure message and the noise has not got any better

It clears as soon as I restart the car.

I am going to invest in a Good scanner and see what it says, I would rather not take it in as I have never had much luck with the local mechanics and the nearest Porsche dealership is an hour away at least.

Anyone had similar symptoms. Brake Fluid is full, new pads rotors.

I thinking possibly the pump is out. Going to take a look at that first.
That's good news for diagnostic. Just scan the car with Durametric for any ABS error codes, which should be quite specific. Then recan it when the warning is actually ON.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:02 PM
gricec
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
Pull fuse B9, E9 & 10 see if it goes away? You might get one brake locking early could point you toward the problem child if it is just one corner acting up.
So I pulled fuse B9 only as i do not have PSM, and it went away.

I didnt drive it for long like that but it seemed like possibly the front right was locking up faster than the others. Again I didnt drive it for long. Tester should be here monday so will hope to know more then.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:54 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Am I correct that this brake grinding has been going on since before Feb 2 and the owner has not take the car to a mechanic to have it checked? No offense to the owner but if my brakes were not operating correctly I would have driven or flatbedded it the hour to a dealer and had them look at it. Instead of spending an hour to see a dealer, the problem has been going on for well over a month.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 AM
gricec
Pro

Originally Posted by johnireland
Am I correct that this brake grinding has been going on since before Feb 2 and the owner has not take the car to a mechanic to have it checked? No offense to the owner but if my brakes were not operating correctly I would have driven or flatbedded it the hour to a dealer and had them look at it. Instead of spending an hour to see a dealer, the problem has been going on for well over a month.
The issue is intermittent and isnt happening all the time. There was some talk around the start of the thread that this might be normal. What has galvanized me this time is the warning light came on twice last week. It hasnt been on since.

Im not really the type to flat bed the car to a dealer every time it blinks a light at me. Id rather invest that money in the tools to repair it myself to be honest. I have done that with every other car I have owned and they have all been German and it hasnt done me wrong me yet.

I appreciate your opinion though. I just feel I do not need to flat bed the car at this time. Thanks
Old 03-21-2015, 10:28 AM
gricec
Pro

Well just to give an update... Its fixed.

Ended up being the allen head bolt that holds the right side abs sensor in was loose. I guess it was loose enough that every now and again it would think the wheel was locking and turn on abs.

Tightened it back up and no more problems.

About the easy fix on any porsche i have ever had lol.

Quick Reply: Front brakes grinding