Just bought these tips -X50 style

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Daniel Kant
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought these tips -X50 style

Hi

Just bought these tips to my 03 C4S. There isn't much detail on how to install them even if i suspect its not that complicated. Anyone here with first hand experience?

https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com..._Style%29.html

/Daniel
Old 02-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 900 Posts

I installed those tips on my 2002 C4S. It's a simple procedure; you simply remove the old ones and bolt the new ones in place. Here are a few tips/suggestions from my experience:

- Coat the bolts on your old tips with a solvent like PB Blaster and let them soak for about 20 or 30 minutes before you try to remove the old tips. This will help you loosen the bolts which are most likely rusted and hopefully avoid breaking a bolt.
- The tips from Maxspeed Motorsports aren't quite as long as the OE tips. I had them in the same position relative to the rear bumper as my OE tips - sticking out about 1/2" or so. Make sure you don't have them recessed behind the bumper cover or even flush with it. Doing so could cause paint damage or bumper cover damage from the exhaust gas heat. You'll notice that when viewed from the side, you can see a little "gap" where these tips attach to the exhaust pipe. It's not a big deal.
- Getting these tips properly aligned is the hardest part. Take your time and leave them loose so that you can make adjustments until they are perfect before you tighten them. Remember that you're adjusting them in multiple planes. You want them aligned symmetrically within the exhaust openings, you want them aligned from side to side and top to bottom. Sometimes it's easier to see how they look if you stand 20 or 30 feet behind the car.
- These tips held up well for me, but they seem to be more susceptible to oxidation on the surface than the stock tips. Clean them frequently and use metal polish and 0000 steel wool and they will keep looking good.

Good luck. It's a nice mod.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Daniel Kant
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dennis, thanks for your reply and i really appreciate your first hand tips

/Daniel
Old 02-01-2015, 05:52 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They look nice. Note that in my case, my tips have a couple of spot welds to the exhaust pipe, in addition to the bolt. Apparently this was done to prevent vibration.

Quick Reply: Just bought these tips -X50 style