996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Suggested preventstive maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:45 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Suggested preventstive maintenance?

I've done a lot of preventative service to my 04 4s cab - 40k miles weekend car parked for winter.

Am I missing something?

Work done:
Oil
Coolant and brake fluid flush
Spark plugs
Serpentine belt
Air and carbon filter

How about?
Dif fluid
Trans oil - manual
Power steering fluid
Any value to replace brake shoes without rotors?

I'm not looking or spend money where it's not needed, but want to avoid bigger problems.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:01 AM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
Any value to replace brake shoes without rotors
A quick visual for starters, then you can measure to check if they are within spec.

For no cost maintenance I'd suggest removing the front bumper and cleaning the rads/condensers.

Other responses you may get will range from; just drive it, to, drop engine and replace all moving parts!! along with replace all three letter acronyms.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:11 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

have you already checked the manufacturer's recommended service schedule for the mileage of your car?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

I've done a lot of preventative service to my 04 4s cab - 40k miles weekend car parked for winter.

Am I missing something?

Work done:
Oil
Coolant and brake fluid flush
Spark plugs
Serpentine belt
Air and carbon filter

How about?
Dif fluid
Trans oil - manual
Power steering fluid

I'm not looking or spend money where it's not needed, but want to avoid bigger problems.
I am a believer in an early tranny/diff fluid change so I would were it my car have this done. (i have had this done more than once with both of my cars.)

I have not had the power steering fluid changed. I have talked to the Porsche techs about this and they report no problems arising from this fluid "wearing out" or from anything that could be prevented by fluid changes. The most common power steering failure mode is a high pressure relief valve fails and routes excessive pressure to the steering rack which forces fluid out the past the seals. This fluid is captured by the rack dust boots and by the time the car is brought in with noises arising from power steering pump being low on fluid the damage is done: A new rack, a new power steering pump, and the line/high pressure relief valve all need to be replaced.

The techs point out there is no provision for draining the power steering fluid. To replace it one would have to disconnect the power steering return line and the serpentine belt and hand spin the pump in the right direction to pump fluid out of the reservoir and through the rest of the system and out into a catch pan. Fresh fluid would have to be added to avoid any air being introduced into the power steering system.

The above still leaves or potentially leaves a considerable amount of old fluid in the rack. But this is probably of no real concern as I pointed out it doesn't appear fluid that has been in service for years presents any problem.

(My 02 Boxster is on its original fluid and car turned 13 years old on the 19th of this month (well, that's when I bought it the car was built in late 2001) and have covered over 288K miles. The power steering system is just fine, thank you. So's the power steering system in the 03 Turbo with 131K miles on its original fluid.)

Whenever the car is serviced I have the car inspected for any leak sign. This is where often a DIY're falls down on the job. He thinks changing the oil/filter is all that a "service" requires but he should use this opportunity to carefully inspect the car from underneath checking for any signs of a fluid leak, from the water pump, hoses/connections/fittings, radiators and their hoses/fittings, CV boots, transmission/diff seals, brake lines, A/C lines, fuel lines and the power steering lines/connection all the way up to the rack where the tech checks the dust boots.

The techs also give the vital fluid levels a check, too. If the power steering fluid level is low and there is no obvious sign of a fluid leak then the rack dust boots should be checked (groped) for any signs of fluid build up in them. Power steering fluid doesn't evaporate.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If the brake pads are too thin to last you through the next year, you could replace them now. You should measure the rotor thickness to see how much life you have left on them. IMO, if there is less than 50% life left, I would not change pads without changing the rotors.
The rotors may become too thin before the new set of brake pads wears out.

Good suggestion above on removing bumper cover and cleaning radiators!
It might be a good time to feed the leather seats, etc.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:37 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a low miles C2 Cab, thanks to the rennlisters advice, I changed tires, all fluids, transmission fluid as well, and I did the 2 years maintenance which is pretty much what you did.

Mine, is a weekend car, but in 6 months, I put 4000 miles, my car doesn't stay 2 weeks without been driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-29-2015, 06:30 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all. I may take on the bumper removal radiator cleaning project.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

To remove the front for radiator/condensor cleaning follow this link

A change of engine mounts might be in order as well. A very easy DIY job. BTW they will tell you the thickness of your rotors when you have the annual inspection done on the car. The thickness limits are different from front and rear. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Suggested preventstive maintenance?