996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Brake pad shim question for those who use 996 on track and street

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:18 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

When I replaced my front brake pads I found that the shims had rusted into the pistons and were totally stuck. I ended up having to get new pistons - and since you can't buy just the piston from Porsche, I opted for stainless steel pistons from Racing Brake. They're awesome, and since they're stainless they are able to be thinner walled than stock. Well, as a result the shims/dampers don't fit in them, so I left them out. No difference. At. All. I haven't noticed any more (or less) squealing from the brakes.

Cheers
Charlie
Old 08-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

One piece of empirical data I have is from my brake pad change after I purchased the car. Three of the calipers had the shims. One did not. The brake pads were well worn and had been on the car for a couple of years. The pads were all evenly worn and I could not detect a difference in performance or noise. One thing I did notice is that the rubber seals on the pistons were in obviously better condition on the three calipers that had the shims. There was clearly more heat transfer to the piston and seals in the caliper that did not have the shims. Based on that observation, I purchased a set of shims and installed them with the new pads.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:09 PM
Jeff95M030
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread, but I purchased these OEM shims and just used some acetone to remove the sticky goo from the pad-facing side before installing them. The shims stay inside the pistons on the caliper and the pads (Pagid yellow, typically noisy) slide in and out quickly. Used a touch of hi-temp brake grease on the backs of the pads as well for good measure.

Quick Reply: Brake pad shim question for those who use 996 on track and street