Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 11:34 AM
Herrin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 996 C2 Cabriolet horn beep when locking & unlocking

Originally Posted by Philag
New-to-me 996 owner here.

I'd like to preface the following by stating that I have read the owner's manual and used the search function. I haven't come across anyone that has the same issue as I'm having.

When I arm the car with the FOB, the blinkers flash twice, followed by a single honk. The red indicator on the dash blinks quickly, twice. From what I understand, this indicates a fault somewhere, however, all fault triggers are closed - doors, glove box, center console, front and rear hoods, etc..

I even intentionally caused a fault by leaving these compartments open and I get the same result.

I do not mind the audible arming, but if this is not supposed to happen, I'd like to get it fixed.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Phil
I see this is from some time ago. Would love to hear how / whether it worked out? My 2001 996 C2 Cabriolet beeps once when locking and twice when unlocking. Also (related?) my passenger window doesn't drop when opening door from in or outside handles.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:17 PM
Idaho911
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Herrin
I see this is from some time ago. Would love to hear how / whether it worked out? My 2001 996 C2 Cabriolet beeps once when locking and twice when unlocking. Also (related?) my passenger window doesn't drop when opening door from in or outside handles.
Passenger window not dropping is likely a failure of one of the microswitches in the door lock mechanism. I had the same issue and it was a relatively straight forward fix.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-detailed.html

FWIW, my car does not beep at all when locking AND unlocking. I would have your car scanned for fault codes. When I did have this problem it was due to a failed glovebox microswitch that was keeping the light on.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:45 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Herrin
I had the same beeping and it was the aftermarket radio. There is a wire in there that was grounded and should not have been. I know.... it doesn't make sense. In your case it's likely the door latch/microswitch thing. I had a window that would not drop and that turned out to be broken solder joints inside the door latch. Everyone says it's the miroswitches. I tested mine and they were all fine....then found the solder joints under the microscope.

Quick Reply: Horn Beep When Locking