Sponsored by:

Laguna Seca 2/23 gonna be fun

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:23 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Laguna Seca 2/23 gonna be fun

I have been to Laguna track days before, first in an E36 M3, then in the RX8, now i am really looking forward to the C4. More HP, Tires and brakes should be interesting. Hope the old girl holds up. I have been through it for all the basig reliability issues but with 130K+ i am going to go a little easy on her.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:36 PM
bornrich
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have fun! I have run there several times with my C2. If you have any type of sport exhaust you may run afoul of the sound police. I did with my Fister mufflers.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

I do have the PSE, I also have a switch but it does not seem to switch it to quiet mode. Need to check into it and make it work. 99s did not have the switch stock so someone added it.
Otherwise just go easy between 5 and 6.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:49 PM
bornrich
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a note, they can and do move the sound station around the track, although usually it is between turns 5 and 6 just before the bridge.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I can only dream of going to Laguna Seca to drive on the track. Hope you'll video your next trip there to share with the unfortunate ones who don't live on the west coast.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:38 PM
hooger
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
I can only dream of going to Laguna Seca to drive on the track. Hope you'll video your next trip there to share with the unfortunate ones who don't live on the west coast.
Also jealous that you get to drive Laguna Seca and on top of that being able to do it in the winter is great. Have fun.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:42 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, life here on the left coast is
tough. Got sun burned yesterday after I went surfing, sand all over my sandals and stuff. Any tips on trail breaking? I hear it is key to driving a 911 properly. All my track experience is in front engine cars
Old 01-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Zenski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is definitely one of the tracks I want to go on…just need to go west!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:38 AM
hooger
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Yeah, life here on the left coast is
tough. Got sun burned yesterday after I went surfing, sand all over my sandals and stuff. Any tips on trail breaking? I hear it is key to driving a 911 properly. All my track experience is in front engine cars
I'm no expert on track driving, but I don't consider trail brakin as a key to driving the 911 properly. I'd consider consistent throttle control a much more key component with regard to driving it properly.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:12 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hooger
I'm no expert on track driving, but I don't consider trail brakin as a key to driving the 911 properly. I'd consider consistent throttle control a much more key component with regard to driving it properly.
That and waiting until you see God before braking for corners and then threshold braking while downshifting using heel and toe. Ideally all while pointed straight. And then keep on the throttle in the corner dialing in more as you exit and as traction permits.

But the real key thing for a novice on the track is don't drive beyond your ability. Don't be afraid to let that Miata pass you even tho you can take it in the straights. And use an instructor if available.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:10 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Any tips on trail breaking? I hear it is key to driving a 911 properly.
You asked about trail breaking and received advise on "threshold breaking" (ideally while pointed straight), and "consistent throttle control".

Too many drivers have some strange misconceptions about what trail breaking is and what it isn't: Trail braking is not braking while on the throttle (left foot braking), nor is it necessarily braking to the apex. Defined simply trail breaking is the act of trailing or easing off the brakes while turning into the corner. Again it's slowly releasing the brake pedal pressure after you've started turning to the apex. If you have any amount of pressure on the brakes after turning the steering wheel then you're trail braking.

Is it beneficial to driving a rear engine 911? Absolutely. It allows you to balance the car and make a smooth transition from brakes to throttle all the while carrying more speed into the corner. It take lots of practice to get that balance down correctly, but once mastered your lap times will decrease noticeably.

For someone in a 996 for the first time just practice it slowly, even if only for a few feet past the point you turn the wheel into the turns. You'll get more and more comfortable when you practice at every turn and soon you'll find you're not stabbing at the brakes but finessing them into the turns all the while balancing weight transfer between breaking and accelerating. That old adage about always breaking in a straight line was developed to keep new drivers safe (and slow). It's not the fastest or even safest way to drive a rear-engined Porsche around the track....

Edit: Here's a great article to read especially his point #2 about breaking....
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ng-Issues.aspx

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 01-26-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:05 PM
tshort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
You asked about trail breaking and received advise on "threshold breaking" (ideally while pointed straight), and "consistent throttle control".
[snip]
Edit: Here's a great article to read especially his point #2 about breaking....
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ng-Issues.aspx
That is a great article - some excellent info that I will definitely be referring back to after I've had a chance to get back out on the track. As an FYI, if anyone is interested in reading/learning more about the mental/psychological aspects that the above article mentions, you may find Keith Code's books to be interesting. His books, Twist of the Wrist I & II, are the motorcycle roadracer's bible for cornering and mental conditioning.

Even though they're written for motorcyclists, much of the mental aspect of it translates directly to cars and driving in a track environment. Highly recommend.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:13 PM
c4racer
Pro

That old adage about always breaking in a straight line was developed to keep new drivers safe (and slow). It's not the fastest or even safest way to drive a rear-engined Porsche around the track....
As an instructor I like first time track drivers to be safe and slow!

Adding finesse to brake to throttle transitions is certainly part of the learning process and IMHO something to start adding after a few track days under your belt. Really good input for more experienced track drivers to start working on.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:34 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by c4racer
As an instructor I like first time track drivers to be safe and slow!

Adding finesse to brake to throttle transitions is certainly part of the learning process and IMHO something to start adding after a few track days under your belt. Really good input for more experienced track drivers to start working on.
I believe in teaching the correct way to drive a 911 from the start. Laws of primacy and all that stuff. Definitely safe and slow, but carry a little brake into the turns from the get-go.....
Old 01-30-2015, 10:56 AM
c4racer
Pro

I believe in teaching the correct way to drive a 911 from the start. Laws of primacy and all that stuff. Definitely safe and slow, but carry a little brake into the turns from the get-go.....
Fair enuf. I just recently got my first 911 and haven't had it on the track yet. Trail braking also works well on a corvette or a properly setup race camaro which is mostly what I have experience in.
I lost my stomach for instructing well before I got a 911 btw! Decided it's just not worth it for me.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca 2/23 gonna be fun