Sponsored by:

Castrol Magnatec

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Castrol Magnatec

No intention of starting an oil thread; but, eventually this indicates some discussion. I started using Castrol Magnatec in my non-P sedan in Germany because it sits unused for a while at times. Magnatec is advertised as having properties to overcome the effect of this -
Castrol Motorenöle Magnatec SAE 5W-40 C3 - 5L Flasche: Amazon.de: Auto Castrol Motorenöle Magnatec SAE 5W-40 C3 - 5L Flasche: Amazon.de: Auto

Hadn't given it much thought until it just surfaced in the U.S. marketplace. In Germany it is sold as a HC-Synthese Öl (hydrocracked mineral-based oil) as opposed to a Vollsynthetische (POA - Class IV) oil. A recent offering by Advance Auto Parts lists several forms of Magnatec, some labeled "Full Synthetic" and other weights as "Synthetic Blend." The Castrol site descriptions are not helpful, as distinguishing European formulations from that offered in the U.S.

Adding to the confusion, the most recent Porsche approved oil list includes the 5W40 variant, but Castrol does not list Porsche vehicles as an application.

mit vielen Grüßen, Mark
Old 01-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

How long does the car sit unused?

I dare say the approved oils are selected with some infrequent use in mind as Porsche considers annual mileage of between 6K and 9K miles per year to be the norm.

If you are really concerned about the car sitting unused for long periods of time you can consider switching to a Group V ester based oil. The Group IV POA oils are not seal friendly but have an ester additive to help the seals. But the seals need to be bathed by this oil occasionally to keep them from shrinking.

An ester based oil could give the seals an edge in resisting shrinkage that arises from lack of regular engine use.

Also, my Porsche tech friends tell me for engines that are not used often, or used infrequently, they would recommend one use Swepco 502 oil additive.

Last but not least if you can when you have to leave the car parked unused for any long period of time to do so with fresh oil in the engine.

No oil can counter the stratification that occurs as the oil sits and any water content forms its own layer.

Note that not only does this stratification occur in the oil tank or sump but anywhere oil resides. For instance in the lifter bores and the zero-lash adjusters. This water which will have been combined with other combustion byproducts is acidic and this water then corrodes whatever metal or rubber or seal material it comes in contact with. Over time the engine "wears" not from use but from corrosion.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:02 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark I
No intention of starting an oil thread; but, eventually this indicates some discussion. I started using Castrol Magnatec in my non-P sedan in Germany because it sits unused for a while at times. Magnatec is advertised as having properties to overcome the effect of this - Castrol Motorenöle Magnatec SAE 5W-40 C3 - 5L Flasche: Amazon.de: Auto.

Hadn't given it much thought until it just surfaced in the U.S. marketplace. In Germany it is sold as a HC-Synthese Öl (hydrocracked mineral-based oil) as opposed to a Vollsynthetische (POA - Class IV) oil. A recent offering by Advance Auto Parts lists several forms of Magnatec, some labeled "Full Synthetic" and other weights as "Synthetic Blend." The Castrol site descriptions are not helpful, as distinguishing European formulations from that offered in the U.S.

Adding to the confusion, the most recent Porsche approved oil list includes the 5W40 variant, but Castrol does not list Porsche vehicles as an application.

mit vielen Grüßen, Mark
Standard Castrol Magnatec 5w40 is not Porsche approved but Castrol Magnetic Professional 5w40, which is a trade only product, is Porsche approved.

Quick Reply: Castrol Magnatec