Sponsored by:

New Owner w/ question re DesignTek

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:57 PM
spencerusa
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner w/ question re DesignTek

I recently bought an '03 C4S and have really enjoyed the car and reading through this forum - thanks for everyone taking the time to write helpful posts.

Before I bought my car, it was throwing P0420 (and the tech noted that bank 2 was also "starting to deteriorate") so the PO replaced the cats with DesignTek 200 cats. Comparing with the pic of the cats on my car, I think these are the ones: http://www.design911.com/Exhaust-Cat...996/prod21336/.

About 7k miles after he replaced them, the car is now throwing P0430. I've cleared the code twice but it keeps popping up. While the PO was European and may have purchased these because the brand is better known in Europe than the US, I'm guessing it is more likely that he bought them because they were a cheap alternative. That said, wouldn't crappy cats last longer than 7k (car isn't tracked)?
Old 12-28-2014, 07:01 PM
spencerusa
6th Gear

Meant to attached these to the original post.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:16 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Bump on behalf of the new guy. Cuda, you've got the equivalent of a doctorate on cats now - any thoughts? A couple of other guys have just bought (and researched) cats that I'm sure could chime in. I may buy a set of cats in the future once I get serious about my loud left exhaust - might be a cat going bad. So I'm interested to see the latest forum wisdom on replacement cats.

PS- Thanks for posting the pics Spencer. That always helps. And, nice looking car. Welcome!
Old 01-16-2015, 11:49 AM
spencerusa
6th Gear

For anyone stumbling upon this thread in the future, designtek wasn't much help in solving the problem. I bought an O2 spacer from FVD and the CEL is no longer an issue. There are no visible inspections on my smog test (at least ive never seen it done in the 10+ ive done in GA) but that is something others might need to consider.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:45 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Sorry we weren't much help Spencer. Also thank you for reporting back what you discovered on your own.

Quick Reply: New Owner w/ question re DesignTek