Sponsored by:

Jalopnik Article: How To Own A Ridiculously Cheap And Reliable Porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:43 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lagodue
These procedures (IMBS replacement) are a DIY job and completion is around 10 hours, and access is such that any weekender with a garage or driveway with jackstands and hand tools could complete it.
I hate when people, especially in journalism makes these kinds of blanket statements that seem pretty irresponsible at the least.

As mentioned, there will be a huge variance in skill level, experience, tools, techniques involved with this. Even with this, you have peeps that can never be heart surgeons just because they lack the patience or attention to detail type mentality that is often needed, especially for critical applications like these.

I can't tell you how many jerry rigged items I've come across fixing used cars I bought or even my last 3 houses. That's what happens sometimes when peeps that normally don't do this for a living carelessly try to tackle something of this nature. It's not rocket science but at the same time, it's not meant to be for every joe to tackle either. Even something as simple as a brake job, I saw stuff like loose caliper bolt or untightened bleed nipple for example. [Rant off]
Old 12-15-2014, 01:11 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

^True Dat^...It should also be noted however, that much of what passes as "professional" these days is verging on laughable (or cry-able in some cases). It's pretty sad when you pay big money to said "professional" for work/product that turns out to be sub-par or even downright fraudulent. Lets face it, the entire D.I.Y. industry has been built on shoddy "professionally" done work. There are certainly incompetents on both sides of the fence. Buyer Beware !!!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:20 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by dporto
^True Dat^...It should also be noted however, that much of what passes as "professional" these days is verging on laughable (or cry-able in some cases). It's pretty sad when you pay big money to said "professional" for work/product that turns out to be sub-par or even downright fraudulent. Lets face it, the entire D.I.Y. industry has been built on shoddy "professionally" done work. There are certainly incompetents on both sides of the fence. Buyer Beware !!!
^True Dat^ There are often cases of the blind leading the blind, even coming from the so called "professionals".
Old 12-15-2014, 01:24 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

I seems we'll have to agree to agree...Damn!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:45 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by dporto
I seems we'll have to agree to agree...Damn!
Uhhh... I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that. Because, Rennlist
Old 12-15-2014, 04:30 PM
JohnCK2014
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big thing the 996 has going for it over the 997 is that you can change out the IMS bearing without tearing down the entire engine. I know the common wisdom is that the 997s will always be more valuable than the 996s. I think that is true with regard to the 997.2s, which don't have the IMS. But every year the 997.1s get older and even though the IMS bearing were improved they still were not perfected. In five years, what would you rather have, a well maintained 996 with an upgraded IMS or a 997.1 with a IMS that will by then be over 10 years old?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:42 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCK2014
The big thing the 996 has going for it over the 997 is that you can change out the IMS bearing without tearing down the entire engine. I know the common wisdom is that the 997s will always be more valuable than the 996s. I think that is true with regard to the 997.2s, which don't have the IMS. But every year the 997.1s get older and even though the IMS bearing were improved they still were not perfected. In five years, what would you rather have, a well maintained 996 with an upgraded IMS or a 997.1 with a IMS that will by then be over 10 years old?
Given the number of cars with modified IMS bearings blowing up, I'd take the factory car. Every day.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:44 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LordVicious
I'd take the factory car. Every day.
Me too.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:57 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LordVicious
Given the number of cars with modified IMS bearings blowing up, I'd take the factory car. Every day.
Can you share data on this? I am interested to hear about it.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:08 PM
JohnCK2014
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What numbers? I have never seen a single reliable number on the failures of the factory ones let alone the replacements. Also, remember LN engineering has every motivation to downplay the reliability of their product. They know what they have is necessary but also they don't want people to trust their product too much because they want them to replace it more often.

Every Porsche tech I have ever talked to, and I have talked to a fair number of them says the 997s do fail occasionally and the replacement ones can too, but less often. The replacements have failed but it is very rare from everything I have seen.

Quick Reply: Jalopnik Article: How To Own A Ridiculously Cheap And Reliable Porsche 911