Jacking up the 'ol 996!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003 | 02:33 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Question Jacking up the 'ol 996!

If you're using the supplied jack what sequence would you use to get car up on jackstands..

1. Front then rear on each side
2. Back both sides then front
3. Front both sides then the back

It would seem to me that you would want to do each rear first while the lighter front is still on the ground firmly chocked...but I don't know

Also is it better to jack the car right next to the jacking point so the jackstands will be right where the jackpoints are? (I have hockey pucks)

I'm going to start a project of cleaning wheel wells, paint the hats and calipers and clean inside of wheels.

What do you think?
Old 08-22-2003 | 02:44 AM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Advice: go to sears hardware and buy a 2 1/4 ton jack w\free jack stands for $50. It will make life much easier than trying to use the jack that comes with the car. One of the better purchases I've made.
Old 08-22-2003 | 09:14 AM
phattey
Instructor

Can't carry a 2 1/2 ton floor jack around in your car.

Unless you call roadside when you have a flat..then it dosen't matter.

In the garage I agree with brh986...but on the road...
Old 08-22-2003 | 11:01 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Don, Get a floor jack, a good one.

I start by raising the rear of the car a bit at the jacking points so as to get the floor jack under the rear of the car. Use a piece of wood between the jack and the rear cross member. Jack the car up and insert the jackstands (with pucks) at the rear jacking points. Then set the car down on the pucks.

You may even want to leave the jack under the rear cross member to support the rear of the car. There is CONSIDERABLE flexing that will take place when proping the car on its jacking points.

Unless you are committed to having all four wheels off the car at the same time, I would recommend doing the rear first then do each front wheel.

Get the floor jack, and get a good one, 2 ton is what I have and it is indespensible. they are cheap and a lot safer buddy........

Quick Reply: Jacking up the 'ol 996!