Sponsored by:

Key FOB and alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:33 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Key FOB and alarm

Is my car suppose to have an audible alert when I lock the doors and the alarm arms? The lights flash twice but half the time I can't hear the lock mechanism working so I stand around to wait. At this point I can lock it manually and be assured that my car is locked.

On my Audi, I was simply use to hearing the alarm or horn chirp when I locked the doors and the alarm armed.

Also with Audi and VW I can use VAG-Com and reprogram the alarm features, locking door features, etc. Will this work with Porsche. I haven't searched for that info yet so I thought I would ask about that too!
Old 08-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told that there is no way to program the system to give an audible "beep" by accessing it through the OBDII port. Some guys leave their armrest compartment open so it will beep upon arming. I find this very, very annoying as well and I've been thinking about wiring a Piezo horn to the output of the alarm but I haven't given it that much thought (as far as the execution of this project goes).
Old 08-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

My understanding is that an audible beep when you lock the car means a fault but not necessarily a fault in the system but in the car security. E.g, if the front bonnet isn't closed properly or on a cab the arm rest isn't locked and the top is open.

I must admit my previous Audi A6 quattro beeped when you locked it and I liked that feature. Also, it would beep if you pressed the key fob to lock it and it was already locked. A neat feature if your trying to find your car in a car park.

If there is a mod to do this, the locking mechanism would have to chirp twice to distinguish it from an alarm fault.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:19 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

For my "mod", I was planning to access the security system's output to the parking lights wire and split it off to a diode and then the Piezo Buzzer. It would "beep" twince upon arming and once at rearm the same way the lights do.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Good one. Yes since the lights flash when you lock the car you could use them to pulse the piezo. I might try that too.
Cheers,
Berny
Old 08-19-2003, 11:59 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

I wish there was a seperate Lock and Unlock button on the remote. The problem I have is also not knowing if the alarm is armed and if you press it again you might have disarmed it without knowing. Most of the other cars I own and owned all have/had a seperate Lock and Unlock button.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:33 PM
bpr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer said "no" to audible chirp

I brought my 996 to a dealer yesterday for some warranty work, and as predicted, he said that there was no way to program the remote to emit an audible chirp when engaging the alarm. He tried to tell me that I wouldn't want the beep anyway since people always ignore alarms that sound. But I explained that my desire for the chirp was so that I could readily know when I had engaged the alarm. I'm often not looking at the headlights when I press my remote, so I likely will miss the flashing headlights. I'm used to my previous car (Audi TT) that chirped when I set the alarm, and I wish I could have the same system in my 996.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:32 PM
Ray Bahr
Track Day

Hi All,

My wife - bpr asked me to look at this thread - Turns out that this same oversight bugs me - at least when I am lucky enough to get to drive her car!

A thought: Instead of using a Piezo Buzzer - what about using the existing alarm horn - I.E. - wre 2 diodes in - one on the light output line and one on the horn output line?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this car that they would not mind scanning in the apropriate section or???

TIA

Ray - who keeps lusting after a Porsche but already has to many cars...
Old 08-19-2003, 08:30 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

I originally thought about using the existing alarm horn but it is a bit loud. I like the sound of a Piezo buzzer (similar to the sound of Alpine and BMW alarms). I'll do it on my new car once it arrives (next day or two) and once I've finished installing the essential goodies off of my current car. I'll post step by step pics.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:42 AM
Random Alias
Advanced

Originally posted by Scouser
My understanding is that an audible beep when you lock the car means a fault but not necessarily a fault in the system but in the car security. E.g, if the front bonnet isn't closed properly or on a cab the arm rest isn't locked and the top is open.
Also, if you click the lock button twice in quick succession it will lock the doors and sound the horn, but doing so disables the interior motion detectors. It's for when you want to leave your dog in the car or something similar.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:30 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Hey, that's pretty cool. I didn't know that. If you park with the roof and windows closed, who cares about the interior motion sensor being active. Hmm. I'll try that later.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:19 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Ye but Alon I hop it don't stop you wiring it. I am looking forward to doing your mod when you post it ;-)
Old 08-20-2003, 06:24 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

I second that Scouser...Alon we're just waiting for your step by step wiring and pictures.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Have no fear. I'll do it soon enough. I get my car tomorrow and I need a bit of time to get my goodies from my current car (suspension, sway bars, wheels, airbox, short shifter, etc) before venturing into any electrnic projects. I'll do it in the next week or two and post instructions.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:43 AM
Mitty
Racer

Was there every a follow up to this?

Quick Reply: Key FOB and alarm