Sponsored by:

Brake light issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:17 PM
BTERRY1
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Brake light issues

I assume the switch is failing. When I initially depress the brake pedal or press lightly my brake lights work. As soon as I press harder the go out. On immediate firm braking I get an initial flash of brake lights the nothing. No abs light on dash. Anything else to look for?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by BTERRY1
I assume the switch is failing. When I initially depress the brake pedal or press lightly my brake lights work. As soon as I press harder the go out. On immediate firm braking I get an initial flash of brake lights the nothing. No abs light on dash. Anything else to look for?
My Boxster exhibited the same behavior. Proved to be a brake light switch. If you can stand to contort yourself you can remove the old switch and install a new switch. The switch is not expensive.

Whether you replace this yourself, or have it done -- my local dealer service department replaces the switch for free as long as I buy the switch at the dealer's parts department (the service department also offers this free installation for light bulbs and fuses/relays and wipers) -- my advice would be to replace not only the brake light switch, but the clutch interlock switch (the switch that prevents the engine from cranking if the clutch pedal is not depressed) at least.

I would advise you to also consider replacing the switches above the clutch pedal lever and the brake pedal lever that switch off the cruise control when the clutch pedal or brake pedal is depressed.

Quick Reply: Brake light issues