Opinions on Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 12:14 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Opinions on Snow Tires

Hi,

I need to acquire snow tires for my C4. I have an option of three different tires and wondering if anyone has an opinion on which of these would be the best in snow.

1. Dunlop Winter Sport 3D

2. Pirelli Winter Snowsport 240

3. Vredestein Wintrac

TIA
Old 10-01-2014, 11:25 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

I run the Dunlops and have had great luck w/ them over the past 3 or 4 winters. Great traction, good handling when it's dry and very good wear thus far. I put them on 17" turbo twist wheels for easy cleaning during the winter months.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a nice set of the Snosports on 18" Porsche twist wheels that will be up for sale very soon if you are interested. The tires have 2 seasons on the front and about 2 months on the rears. Wheels are NOT perfect but for winter wheels they are fine.

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have nothing but positive things to say about my Vredestein Wintrac xtreme tyres. I live in Norway halfway up a tall mountain, steep hills with slow bends. No issues, not on ice or snow.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:15 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both snows and all-seasons and prefer the all seasons in the winter because they out perform the snows in the dry and rain and are quieter on the highway. For the limited number of times I drive in snow (probably more than you) the all-seasons do ok. If there is more than a couple inches of snow I have a choice of 3 4WD cars to drive instead of my 2WD 996. I do have LSD and traction control will is useful on the steep hill to my house. I do like driving the 911 in snow, to a point.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:39 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I have a nice set of the Snosports on 18" Porsche twist wheels that will be up for sale very soon if you are interested. The tires have 2 seasons on the front and about 2 months on the rears. Wheels are NOT perfect but for winter wheels they are fine.

Not interested in the wheels, I already obtained a set of 18" Sport Classic II and now just looking for snows. You didn't say if you would sell the tires separately, or what you thought of them in the snow. And, how much tread you have left on them.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie
Not interested in the wheels, I already obtained a set of 18" Sport Classic II and now just looking for snows. You didn't say if you would sell the tires separately, or what you thought of them in the snow. And, how much tread you have left on them.
The tread is actually very good. Grip in the snow and ice is a confidence builder. For me a season on snows is 3-4 months tops.....Dec to March.

If interested please PM me and I can send pics.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:26 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete

Wouldn't they be good up in "The Frozen North?" New owner wouldn't pony up $$?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:15 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

After doing the same research I went with Vredestein on 17's. With the 18's as far as I could find your only choice is the Pirelli's. Tire rack for $900. Dunlop now makes the 4D instead of the 3D and they don't make the correct size for the rears.

If you want the 3D's you are going to have to get NOS or used.

And sport classic 2's for winter tires? You are killing me. I trade you my 18 inch turbo twist for them.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:07 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgjks6
After doing the same research I went with Vredestein on 17's. With the 18's as far as I could find your only choice is the Pirelli's. Tire rack for $900. Dunlop now makes the 4D instead of the 3D and they don't make the correct size for the rears.

If you want the 3D's you are going to have to get NOS or used.

And sport classic 2's for winter tires? You are killing me. I trade you my 18 inch turbo twist for them.
They make the Vredestein in the proper sizes for 18" wheels. Just aren't many tire stores selling them.

And, I love the look of the sport classic IIs, I have them for my summer tires and acquired them for my winter tires too. In fact, due to some strange happenings, I have an extra set of rears.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Snow Tires