Sponsored by:

2002 Aerokit option confusion!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 01:34 AM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2002 Aerokit option confusion!

I'm having trouble determining just what the official factory aerokit options are for 2002 996 Carerra 2's. Porsche’s web site only serves to increase the confusion...

I understand that year 1999-2001 996s had the option to get the part number "XAA, XAE,XAD" "Cup Aerokit" which included a front lip spoiler, side skirts, and a swooping rear spoiler that is "C" shaped when viewed from the side as shown in the photo below.

Now for the year 2002, according to Porsche's configuration guide, they dropped the “XAA, XAE, XAD” aerokit kit option above and instead only offer a new spoiler, part number "XAG". Porsche's web site appears to refer to this “XAG” as simply a "Carrera Spoiler” (see photo below) and there is no mention of any front lip spoiler or side skirts as options at all for 2002.

Questions:

1. Does Porsche offer a factory front lip spoiler and side skirts for a 2002 996 Carerra 2? If so, does anyone have pictures and part numbers?

2. Does anyone have any better pictures than the one below of the official "XAG" spoiler for the 2002 996 Carrera 2?

3. Are there any other differently-styled factory spoilers available for 2002?

Thanks in advance for your help (and your pictures!). I know 3rd party parts are always an option, but I’d like to stick with factory parts if possible. If you have a 2002 996 Carerra 2 with aerokit options, I'd sure love to see it!

Thanks!

PS - here are the photos I have thus far...
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2003, 02:59 AM
VIP MOTORWORKS1
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AERO KIT..

I don't believe porsche has a factory aero kit for the 2002-2003 models because the bumpers are different between 2001 and 2002 because of the headlight change. I have not seen a aero kit on any porsche newer than 2001. Also the wings you have pictured are both the same but I believe the silver one is the cab version of the wing. The wings will fit on a 2002 because the trunks are the same from 99-03. Check performance products for new kits for the 2002 they have some polyurethane turbo, gt2, and gt3 look bumpers. Hope this helps.

Rodney
Old 08-15-2003, 06:50 AM
dbelleperc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gert at Carnewal has the new 02-pre. areokits for sale now.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Aerokit Cup for MY99-01 has a different front bumper shape than the MY02 and newer cars and will not fit them. The "official" aerokit for MY02 and newer cars is the Aerokit Cup II. In both cases the Aerokit looks just like the GT3. For MY99-01 it looks like the early GT3 and for MY02 and newer it looks like the new MY04 GT3.
MY99-01

MY02-
Old 08-15-2003, 11:33 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche did not offer an Aerokit option for MY '02. They only offered option X76 which is "flared rocker panels."

However, they did offer an aerokit for MY '03 (option XAA) which was called Aerokit Cup II. This kit looks like this:

They also offered a separate option XAG called "Carrera Rear Spoiler" which looked just like this:

All above parts can be had from Rennlist sponsor Carnewal.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:41 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

This was all the factory offered at the beginning of MY02. I ordered mine on 9/01 for an 11/01 delivery... factory side skirts and rear wing. I don't believe there is a "factory" front spoiler. As I understood the situation was that the stock front bumper provided the necessary aerodynamics w/or w/o the factory rear spoiler or side skirts.

Old 08-15-2003, 04:36 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

I appreciate all of the info so far - you guys are great!!!

So it seems that there are at least two ways to go with 100% factory parts for the MY 02 Coupe (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Buy the complete "CupII" aerokit as shown in Viken's pictures. I finally found a mention of it on Porsche's web site (but not on the American site) and it clearly states that the front and rear spoilers must be installed together (so you don't have high speed stability problems).

- OR -

2. Buy the standard Carrera XAG spoiler and the side skirts that DonW-CapeCod did for his cab pictured above which seem to be more rounded than those in the Cup II. (Don - do you by any chance have a part number for those skirts)? I assume they'll fit on the Coupe as well. Can anyone else clarify that you don't need to change the bumper out on a Coupe when installing that XAG spoiler? Like Don, I believe I read somewhere that the MY02 bumper was made to work with the XAG spoiler at high speed, but obviously I want to be sure.

Anything other options I'm missing here?

Thanks again eveyone and keep the pictures coming if you have any. I'm learning quite a lot here!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:29 PM
BRUCE
Instructor

I have the factory side skirts like Don's on my '02 cpe and the XAG spoiler. The stock front bumper is unchanged except they add a small black chin spoiler underneath about 12" back from the front edge. If you look on Porsches' site they mention the need for this front addition.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:41 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Because of my early build date the rear spoiler and side flares were not installed at the factory, but were sent all painted with the car and installed at the dealer. So I do not have any part numbers and I can't even find them in PET. I guess it's just called a Carrera Spoiler. I do have the small black chin spoiler that Bruce mentions, but I can't find any numbers.

I do know that the flared rockers were option X76 on the 02 specs that eliminated the XAE spoiler option. The part number for the main flared rocker is 996.559.980.01 and 996.559.981.01 for right and left respectively. There are additional attachment parts, but I believe that is the number for the sculpted trim pieces.

Sorry I don't have any more info..
Old 08-16-2003, 12:11 AM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Great - thanks again Don, I really appreciate you taking the time to look that up for me.

I did find a Porsche dealer website that had a lot of "Tequipment" information. It clearly listed the Carerra spoiler and chin spoiler combination you and Bruce have. Here's the quote:

"The Carrera rear spoiler, designed exclusively for all 911 Carrera models is a fixed-wing rear spoiler that replaces the standard electrically operated spoiler of both Coupé and Cabriolet. Package also includes a front lip for vehicles produced from August 2001 onwards."

You guys must have that plus the X76 skirts...

Thanks again to all of you for helping answer my questions! Now I just need to decide which type I like best.

If anyone has any more pictures of MY 02 or 03 Coupes with either the Cup II Aerokit or with the Carerra Spoiler I'd sure like to see them. The Porsche web site pictures don't really show either off very well. Thanks again!
Old 08-16-2003, 03:53 PM
Judtink
Banned

This post has been deleted due to it's blatent disregard of the self promotion rules associated with this community. You can access the rules here: http://www.rennlist.org/charter.htm and https://rennlist.com/nospam.htm .

Old 01-30-2016, 06:56 AM
pierre_l
Instructor

Originally Posted by BRUCE
I have the factory side skirts like Don's on my '02 cpe and the XAG spoiler. The stock front bumper is unchanged except they add a small black chin spoiler underneath about 12" back from the front edge. If you look on Porsches' site they mention the need for this front addition.
anyone has a pic of this "small black chin" - what use does it have?
Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe what Bruce is talking about is the Cup splitter that goes on the edge of the front bumper, and its not 12 inches back, (unless there is something else there that my car is missing) it attaches about an inch from the bottom edge. Which significantly reduced front end float at higher speeds when you have a wing.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:56 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Suncoast sells the factory kits at good prices compared to other OPC

http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/POTE996EX.html
Old 01-30-2016, 02:40 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

My '04 Cab has XAG Carrera Rear Spoiler and X76 Flared Rocker Panels. I wondered why someone who wanted this wouldn't just order the full Aerokit so I found a 2004 option list and there wasn't an Aerokit listed (at least for the cab). My rear spoiler does look like the silver one above identified as a Cab spoiler.

Quick Reply: 2002 Aerokit option confusion!