Sponsored by:

Yet another convertible top issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 01:16 AM
jbsiii
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another convertible top issue

I haven't found any search results for other folks who are experiencing quite the same issue as my 2002 Cab.
This only seems to happen when it is warm outside, 80 degrees or so. The top will open just fine, no problems. However, when it's time to close it, everything works well up until the point where the top is almost closed, and it seems to stall out. The claw operates and attempts to latch, but since the top isn't quite closed, it misses, of course. The system then tries again to finish closing the top; generally I give it a little assist. When the weather is cooler, everything works without a hitch.
I changed out the hydraulic fluid last night; it was low, and used Pentosin 11S, but the problem persists. I looked around, and didn't see any obvious signs of leakage along the actuators, not to say there aren't any, but if there are, I didn't see them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
John
Old 09-20-2014, 06:44 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Check to see if any part of the plastic covering on the hooking latch is missing. If it is then you can buy that and cut it to fit. Then super glue the new part in place without having to tear apart the latching mechanism. Also a small dab of O ring grease on the leading edge of the hook and the 2 top accepting slots of the window frame might help. Also check to see if the 4 screws are tight, so the latching mechanism is not moving as the hook is trying to make that latching move. Under the small flap that the hook tries to open (but yours refuses) is a micro switch which completes the cycle and finally puts the windows back up again.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:18 PM
jbsiii
AutoX

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Check to see if any part of the plastic covering on the hooking latch is missing. If it is then you can buy that and cut it to fit. Then super glue the new part in place without having to tear apart the latching mechanism. Also a small dab of O ring grease on the leading edge of the hook and the 2 top accepting slots of the window frame might help. Also check to see if the 4 screws are tight, so the latching mechanism is not moving as the hook is trying to make that latching move. Under the small flap that the hook tries to open (but yours refuses) is a micro switch which completes the cycle and finally puts the windows back up again.
Thanks for the tips, but I may not have been accurate in my description of the problem. The hook mechanism works fine, but the top isn't in position for it to engage. It's still a couple of inches above the windshield. It's as if the controller is sensing the top is in place when it's not. Is there a sensor that tells the controller how far the top is extended, or is it a timer or other mechanism that is used to start the hook latch sequence?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:34 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Inside the Hook mechanism, there is a plastic lever that presses against the top of the window. When the top reaches the top of the window, the plastic lever is pressed by the top of the window, it is forced upward and it releases a microswitch inside the Hook mechanism. This is how the top knows it has been fully extended. The problem may be that the plastic lever has broken or gotten stuck in the mechanism. When this happens it can cause the symptoms you are describing. The top will think it has reached the window when it has not and it will deploy the Latch which will not successfully reach the window.

Sorry if I'm not being clear on this, its kind of confusing. This link may be helpful:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...h-plastic.html
Old 09-20-2014, 09:24 PM
wucash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjg1138
Inside the Hook mechanism, there is a plastic lever that presses against the top of the window. When the top reaches the top of the window, the plastic lever is pressed by the top of the window, it is forced upward and it releases a microswitch inside the Hook mechanism. This is how the top knows it has been fully extended. The problem may be that the plastic lever has broken or gotten stuck in the mechanism. When this happens it can cause the symptoms you are describing. The top will think it has reached the window when it has not and it will deploy the Latch which will not successfully reach the window.

Sorry if I'm not being clear on this, its kind of confusing. This link may be helpful:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...h-plastic.html
+1 The spring in the latch could have come off, or the latch broken off. My broke in half and the spring was off. Fixed the spring and it works just with one side. The only other fix is a new part for $500 or so on ebay.

If you need pictures of the spring let me know. I can take my apart and send it too you or look through my phone as I think I took picture just for such a thread.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:20 PM
jbsiii
AutoX

Originally Posted by wucash
+1 The spring in the latch could have come off, or the latch broken off. My broke in half and the spring was off. Fixed the spring and it works just with one side. The only other fix is a new part for $500 or so on ebay.

If you need pictures of the spring let me know. I can take my apart and send it too you or look through my phone as I think I took picture just for such a thread.
Gotcha. That makes sense. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2014, 01:38 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

I still have issues with the hook/latch mechanism. Porsche has redesigned this part many times and the replacement is very expensive. They seem to have a hard time getting it right. Here are some pics, you can see the part that broke off mine. These are from my attempt to fix it. My apologies for the size of the pics.
Attached Images     
Old 09-22-2014, 06:08 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like you made a good fix there. Hope it holds up for you. Well done.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:08 AM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately my fix did not hold up. It has already snapped again and doesn't look like it will last much longer. I suspect I will be forced to buy the entire Mechanism at some point.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Eli355
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible to replace one or both of the latch springs? Part numbers please.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:48 AM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

I don't think that Porsche sells the latch springs as a separate item. From what I recall, they only sell the entire mechanism. I suspect you could source the springs from somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Yet another convertible top issue