996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

No-Sunroof 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

See Zookie had a "friend" who had one. It burned and can no longer be produced. There is no evidence they exist!

(Hopefully you guys realize I'm just having fun with this.)
Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I think it caught fire coz it got too hot without the sunroof open

But he is a member on here
Old 09-11-2014, 10:58 AM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeehead
I hate sunroofs too...

There are alternatives- sunroof removal has been done, and is relatively painless compared to other cars. Note that the sunroof panel is between two seals on the body, so bodywork doesn't need to be blended (but you need good a good painter to match the factory paint.)

I've been told that the sheet metal and headliner stuff are readily available from Porsche, or if you're feeling fancy GMG sells a carbon fiber replacement roof panel, which may be in high enough quality to be left clear coated a la E92 M3.

Food for thought.
Unfortunately that's not legal for Stock class competition.

I truly think the 996 is an A-Street dark horse - with the move away from Hoosiers, and the fact that nobody has bothered developing one yet (think - it came with a factory option for 18x8.5 / 18x11 wheels, x74 suspension package . . . ) I'd like to develop one - konis with custom valving, x74 springs, x74/M030 front bar, adjustable aftermarket rear bar, custom aluminum exhaust, and big tires on big wheels.

Deleting the sunroof is probably worth ~100 lbs in weight savings and removes weight from the highest roll point on the car.

The goal would be ~2,900 lbs with 245s front/295s-315s rear . . . . I think that formula could dick stomp the Corvettes, S2000s and Caymans in AS.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi, I competed in A Stock last year at nationals and A Street this year with a trophy at Dixie. I ran in STR in an S2000 this year at nats.

If you were really thorough you could do a sunroof delete and call it an option install. I wouldn't waste your time though. An A Street 996 has been developed, and it is in my garage. The 40AE is the only way to go with the power kit, widest avail wheels, m030 and LSD. I also have heard that one existed with PCCB on the window sticker. I've never heard of one without a sunroof.

X74 is considered a dealer installed option and is not legal.

Custom MCS double adj remotes with stock style spring perches is the way to go, but costs around $7k.

I'm running single adjustable konis and they are a big improvement but not on the same realm as MCS.

I tried a GMG WC front bar but it knocked a bunch. I like running the m030 front bar with the GMG WC back. I initially liked 1 off full stiff but that proved too loose on the concrete at nationals so I run 2 off full stiff now.

255 is the best tire size in the front, with 5mm spacers. Anything over 35 height is going to rub the wheel wells and spring perch.

315 fits the rear without too much issue at 2 degrees camber and no spacer.

The rear grip on corner exit is great and the LSD keeps the inside wheel from spinning even with the thick rear swaybar. The transitions are really poor compared to the S2000CR and the corvettes have more HP, more tire, and less weight. I'm not a great driver by any stretch but I wouldn't invest a ton of money if your only desire is a great autocross car. Just get something tried and true like a vette or mx5 or s2000.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:47 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I removed the sunroof and put the stock GT3 roof in my race car.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:48 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Also mine is 3100lbs without driver. I have the horrible comfort seats as do most all 40AE. A torso belt is the best $20 upgrade there is. The rear konis are valves appropriately off the shelf but the fronts could use a bit stiffer adjustment range IMO.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:20 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Hi, I competed in A Stock last year at nationals and A Street this year with a trophy at Dixie. I ran in STR in an S2000 this year at nats.

If you were really thorough you could do a sunroof delete and call it an option install. I wouldn't waste your time though. An A Street 996 has been developed, and it is in my garage. The 40AE is the only way to go with the power kit, widest avail wheels, m030 and LSD. I also have heard that one existed with PCCB on the window sticker. I've never heard of one without a sunroof.

X74 is considered a dealer installed option and is not legal.

Custom MCS double adj remotes with stock style spring perches is the way to go, but costs around $7k.

I'm running single adjustable konis and they are a big improvement but not on the same realm as MCS.

I tried a GMG WC front bar but it knocked a bunch. I like running the m030 front bar with the GMG WC back. I initially liked 1 off full stiff but that proved too loose on the concrete at nationals so I run 2 off full stiff now.

255 is the best tire size in the front, with 5mm spacers. Anything over 35 height is going to rub the wheel wells and spring perch.

315 fits the rear without too much issue at 2 degrees camber and no spacer.

The rear grip on corner exit is great and the LSD keeps the inside wheel from spinning even with the thick rear swaybar. The transitions are really poor compared to the S2000CR and the corvettes have more HP, more tire, and less weight. I'm not a great driver by any stretch but I wouldn't invest a ton of money if your only desire is a great autocross car. Just get something tried and true like a vette or mx5 or s2000.
+996. Good advice for the bench racers out there.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:45 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I'm not a great driver by any stretch but I wouldn't invest a ton of money if your only desire is a great autocross car. Just get something tried and true like a vette or mx5 or s2000.
Thanks for the info.

I already own a CS RX-8 and a Miata. The RX-8 is, of course, competitive.

I used to compete in a CS Boxster and a BSP Boxster S, I also tried an AS 996 C2 which, in its form, was ****ing horrible (understeer for DAAAAYS).

My only national competition is in an HS Mazda3 which was converted to STF this year (and is a total riot to drive now).

It's good to know that people have been developing the cars - I'm a little leery about the sunroof delete - I see that costing ****loads of money but who knows. Might pair it with the power rear wing delete (you could order a factory fixed wing) and see how much weight I can save.

My old 996 C2 was a 3.4 and from what the internet says at least it weighs less than the 3.6s. I don't see the extra grunt from the 3.6s being a huge advantage compared with the weight loss from the 3.4, but I could be wrong.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions that the rear bar is the most important bar to go with.

Are we sure X74 wasn't available as a factory option? It's listed as one of the option codes in the 996 options and discussed as a factory option in the Panoramas from April and May 2002 (which I ordered off eBay to verify that is is, in fact, a factory option).

I've got Lee at Koni's cell phone number and we've discussed custom valving vs. off the shelf valving, as well as conversions to DA. In the "bang for the buck" category, converting Yellows to autocross valved DA is about $600 per corner, versus $7,000+ for the MCS option.

Finally, it appears that the GT3 sized 18x8.5"/11" wheel option was also a factory option on the 996s - can you confirm?

And yes, I know there are tried and true choices out there. But again, I don't think anyone has seriously developed a 996 at this point, and they're cheap as dirt at this point (I've seen some go for as much as a nice 944 S2 or 944 Turbo).
Old 09-11-2014, 03:46 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've built 2, 1 CF, 1 factory steel.
Not outrageous to do.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:51 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would gladly tack weld my sunroof closed if that's what it takes to sell my car.
Lol, I would try an ad in every thread. But, seriously isn't this the car with the JR engine? That should be a huge plus.

Quick Reply: No-Sunroof 996