Sponsored by:

vibration at speed, detecting bad tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 11:37 PM
bschen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration at speed, detecting bad tie rods

I recently had a 4 wheel alignment done by a Porsche dealer. Would they detect a bad tie rod during the alignment process? They also balanced all 4 wheels but the car still has a slight vibration from 40 mph and up. Is this a balancing issue? Any suggestions.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:20 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: vibration at speed, detecting bad tie rods

Originally posted by bschen
I recently had a 4 wheel alignment done by a Porsche dealer. Would they detect a bad tie rod during the alignment process? They also balanced all 4 wheels but the car still has a slight vibration from 40 mph and up. Is this a balancing issue? Any suggestions.

I am no expert at this but I beleive that if your tie-rod ends are bad a proper wheel alignment on the front end cannot be completed and the Porsche dealer would have indicated so.

At 40mph ....hmmm....you had the wheels balanced? You may have lost a counterweght or two or a wheel out of round. I would check there first again ...easiest to hardest if ya know what I mean.

BTW, are you certain it is in the suspension/wheels where your vibration is coming from and not the drive line? Does your shifter vibrate also or is it only in the steering wheel, when the brakes are applied or only on acceleration, TIRES...worn or new?

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 08-14-2003 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:42 PM
uplarry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar problems although my vibration kicked in after about 70mph. The vibration was very pronounced. You could feel it in both your seat and the steering wheel. Some new tires and a good wheel balancing fixed it.

I've found that the car is very sensitive to wheel balancing. I now take mine back to the tire shop for free balancing every 3000 miles or so.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:43 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

I have found that there is almost nothing you can do to solve this problem when the tires are near end of life. New , balanced tires and a good alignment clear up 99% of these problems. Then it is worth it to check the alignment periodically and regularily inspect your tires for unusual wear patterns. That, BTW, really requires a lift at a minimum, or tire removal if you don't have a lift.

Quick Reply: vibration at speed, detecting bad tie rods