Sponsored by:

996 flood vehicle , I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Pjmoody
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 flood vehicle , I need some advice

I bought a 2002 996 Convertible that was flood damaged. I changed the oil, I cleaned the cylinders by flushing the cylinders out one at a time , 2 had contamination in the cylinder. Now I'm wondering if the valves that are closed have contamination on the head side ?
Contamination consisted of silt, pink fluid and water.
I purchased a used immobilizer, key fab and ECU from the same car. When I install these do I need the dealer to do anything ?
Can I turn the car on without the seat memory control unit ?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Dude you need to have someone that knows a thing or two about cars to check everything over. Last thinguou need is to suck in some sand into the cylinders when they fire up. I would at least pull the intake manifold and clean it out really well but more likely would pull the engine and clean it out really well. These engines are too expensive to take an uncalculated risk.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 PM
PORCAR
Racer

A complete engine disassembly is required for you to know for sure.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Ogr8frogy
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I hope you got it cheap, because it can add up real fast on all the little things that can and most likely will go wrong with a flood car.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:26 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pjmoody
I bought a 2002 996 Convertible that was flood damaged. I changed the oil, I cleaned the cylinders by flushing the cylinders out one at a time , 2 had contamination in the cylinder. Now I'm wondering if the valves that are closed have contamination on the head side ?
I purchased a used immobilizer, key fab and ECU from the same car. When I install these do I need the dealer to do anything ?
This is a game Right? Test questions of some kind, Correct?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:54 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Did you also change the trans fluid?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which I would buy a flood damaged car without knowing the answer to these questions.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:57 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you get this running, be ready for an unreliable car. It WILL have electrical gremlins down the road (if not now.) Every connector and inch of copper wire in the car will be highly prone to corrosion.

There's a reason an insurance company would total it rather than fix it.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Soaringman
Racer

Change the oil and go for a drive
Old 09-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Pjmoody
Particulate matter in one or more cylinders is not good.

Really, engine disassembly is called for so the engine can be thoroughly cleaned and any parts damaged by water (rings but there are other internal parts that can be damaged or compromised -- rust spots on valve springs can result in a broken valve spring down the road) replaced.

About the best you can do -- and it probably won't be good enough -- is arrange to have the engine subjected to some kind of fuel injector cleaning that I believe -- you'll have to confirm -- has a supply of fuel injector cleaner fluid connected to the car's fuel line and the engine is positioned so the intake valves are open and the exhaust valves are closed then the injector is triggered open and the fluid is pumped through the injector and vacuumed out through the intake system.

However, note the engine has to be rotated to ensure the valves are in the right orientation. Any particulate matter in any cylinder will wreck havoc on the piston/rings and cylinder bore.

Either disassemble the engine and do a proper job of it or toss caution to the wind and like Soaringman offered change the oil and go for a drive. When you fire up the engine though before heading out stand back, just in case.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:21 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

After everyone finishes telling you what a dope you were and that you will never get it running/it will blow etc.
SeeSimon996 s thread and maybe see if he will respond with some help instead of DOOM.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ous-996-a.html
Old 09-03-2014, 03:25 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it makes you feel any better they sorted out the Porsche 928 that went into Lake Michigan in the movie Risky Business!

The scene at the dealership is one of my favorite movie lines: "Who's the U-Boat Commander?"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewd...ld-at-auction/
Old 09-03-2014, 04:39 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Soaringman
Change the oil and go for a drive
x2
Old 09-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

They didn't sort out the Lake Michigen 928. Putting it back together and returning it to the prop company doesn't mean it was "sorted out".

If you have silt in the cylinders, you should be worried.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Not usually on this forum but caught my eye. AS to the engine, think you already got some good advice. On the rest of the car might try this. I manufacture laminated safety glass and we have to keep the room and storage of PVB (interlayer between the glass like in your windshield) at less than 20%. We can turn up the gear and go down to zero but it's not what we need for adhesion or health of the guys in the room. Rent a Munter's desiccant ring dryer. ( I have one of those for back up to our big unit, but it's the right size for this job) Close the car up in a sealed single car garage with everything you can get open left open. About 48 hours should do the job. Put a fan in there to turn the air over not a bad idea either. Might still have issues with connectors etc. but it will be dry as a bone in even places you will never access. I think Munters has a service for water damage so will come out and set the unit up for you.

Quick Reply: 996 flood vehicle , I need some advice