Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What did they change on the GT3 to allow 11" width rear wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:59 AM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All GT3 street cars have all 4 fenders rolled as the GT3 cup cars do. This is because of the 235/295 tire combination in conjunction with much lower ride height than stock(with ability to go approximately 10-15mm lower than delivered. The standard 996 has the front fenders rolled, but the rear(at least on all early generations) is NOT rolled. If the lip is rolled, it makes approximately a curved 30-45 degree angle in the inner/upward direction. If not rolled, it has a 90 degree angle from the outer portion of the fender with a "sharp" inside edge. Porsche likely presumes that the standard 996 (which the techno wheels can be used on) will be running at stock ride height. At a low height, and a non rolled rear fender lip, clearance with the 11 inch wheel and the 295 tire may be an issue.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:29 PM
AdamB
Instructor

Thanks Lynn for clarifying that. Right after I posted and left for work I realized that the GT3 fenders might be rolled due to the lower height than the standard 996 models. As I use the M030 suspension I don't believe there is any need to worry about an 11" wheel with the proper offset such as the Techno wheel to rub with a 295 width rear tire.

Lynn, do you know why Porsche rolled the front wheel well? I don't see much of a reason with the narrow 8" wheels they stick up there. Was it because they expected people to increase the width of the front wheels/tires for the track?
Old 08-13-2003, 03:56 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The fender lips are rolled in the front because when the front wheels are turned and the car is cornering, if there was a sharp edge present, it might cause damage to the tire. If one was going around a right turn, the wheels are obviously turned to the right, and hence the outer edge of the left front tire(which has now moved out from the fender area) would come in close proximity to the fender as that fender is now lowered under the force and load of going around a corner. Even in the race car, it still often rubs because of very low ride heights on turning. Porsche designed the car with specific wheels and tire combinations. Although they know that different wheels are often used, they would not roll the fenders as a precaution for this possibility.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:30 PM
AdamB
Instructor

I see. Thank you

Quick Reply: What did they change on the GT3 to allow 11" width rear wheels?