Sponsored by:

Not so good experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:45 AM
porsches996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not so good experience

You know folks last month i was righting about the idea of buying a 996 Turbo......

I finally decided to call some places and try a 2001 and a 2003 turbo.They were full equiped in a very good condition ALL ORIGINAL (very important for me) with real low milage.

So i tried the first one.She was modified to stage 1 and devlopped 485hp.

My first impression was....this car runs exactly like mine and the interior is exactly as mine except mine is in a far better condition lets say perfect condition compare to this one.

So i press the gas pedal and the feeling of the car is exacltly the same as mine... suspension direction brakes and all were the same.

The exception is when you depress the pedal to the floor.....then you feel the difference.

Then i talked with my wife about it and suddenly she said.....can you tell me when you will use all this power..yours is for me fast enough you even never use it as it is supposed to be with all the police on the road tell me when you will use this power.......and i suddenly realized that she was right......otherwise you ever decided to use it as a track car you will almost never use all the power of the turbo engine.

Finally i tried the second one 2003 totally stock and i did not find a so big difference betweem mine and the turbo.So the 2003 doesn't woth for me the price.

Of corse the exterior of the car is different a Turbo will always stay a turbo but just ask you .....when i will really use it on the street........of corse only on the highway at your own risk....mine is finally fast enough and since then i love my Porshe twice as before.

Bye Bye folks

Robert
Old 08-09-2014, 12:09 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Interesting perspective. I suspect most of us 996 NA drivers (including me) would like to "upgrade" to a TT. Maybe the cost to do so just isn't justified by what you actually get. It would be nice to hear from some of you guys that have owned both the NA and TT versions. For me, I put $18k into my current car. I almost pulled the trigger on a 2001 TT a couple of months back, which would have cost me about $26k to buy and I figured another $4k to $5k to sort out. Clearly this was not a low mileage garage queen I was looking at, but none of my cars are. I actually drive my cars and don't lose sleep over rock chips and the like (although I've never tracked one). I've had regrets ever since not buying that car.
So, my question to those of you with TT experience, if I'm very happy with my NA, will it be worth it to spend about $15k on top of my current car to upgrade to a TT? I love the looks of the TT, but also really like the way my Mk I aero kit looks. I don't covet a glovebox. My IMSB is a fresh new one. My car is optioned very well. It would mainly be all about the hp. So, does the Turbo truly transform the 996 experience, or does a nice NA give you 95% of the goodness at 60% of the cost?
Old 08-09-2014, 01:59 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porsches996
You know folks last month i was righting about the idea of buying a 996 Turbo......

Then i talked with my wife about it and suddenly she said.....can you tell me when you will use all this power..yours is for me fast enough you even never use it as it is supposed to be with all the police on the road tell me when you will use this power.......and i suddenly realized that she was right......otherwise you ever decided to use it as a track car you will almost never use all the power of the turbo engine.

Robert
For all of us, married guys, this is the best thing to do, consult your wife first if it doesn't approve and you go for it, whatever decision you make is already doom!!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 carrera blue
For all of us, married guys, this is the best thing to do, consult your wife first if it doesn't approve and you go for it, whatever decision you make is already doom!!
No need, here. I am with porsches996 -- my car looks new, runs like new, is plenty fast (allowing me to exploit the engine and gearbox without tempting cops or the gates of hell), handles like a 911 should, and has a wonderful Fister-D, NA sound.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Soaringman
Racer

I would call that a good experience, now you know you have no need the shell out the extra cash for a turbo
Old 08-09-2014, 08:05 PM
riddler777
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

probably the best way inbetween is the C4s, it looks the part - but costs less and has the same "advantages" of a NA 996

personally me - I actually find it's rear end very sexy with the red taillight stripe and without the spoiler, + if you want to change that, it is easy to swap the rear lid to a turbo one, so in the end it is almost identical with the exception of side air intakes.

my humble opinion, of owning a 996 for a week now and looking for its engine parts
Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Zanzibar Red 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was in search of mine I looked for many months for a 996 with No Options
I wanted a light weight car
I didn't need 4X, heated anything or
Crests
I love the simplicity of the C2 996
Old 08-09-2014, 09:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

if you "couldnt really feel the difference" of 115bhp, i dont really know what to say
Old 08-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

keep in mind that some people value the upgrade to a turbo for the full leather interior, the stout mezger flat 6, and the body appearance.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:30 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 carrera blue
Man - I think if I called my wife an "it" she'd slap me upside the head.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

People have asked me "is it a turbo" I tell them who needs a turbo when I already have more than enough power for any road in the States. I do not or even would, 'track my car'. When my roof is off and I am low on gas and no passengers, this thing can rip any road surface to shreds and go over a ton in 3rd. WTF, who needs more power than that? Do we have to prove that we are idiots by challenging other drivers. I think not. We know what we have under that hood and what it is well capable of if really needed. Not that I don't show other drivers when I am being tail gated. I admit, I love leaving them in the dust. haha.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:23 PM
bernardbarbour
Racer

Originally Posted by riddler777
probably the best way inbetween is the C4s, it looks the part - but costs less and has the same "advantages" of a NA 996

personally me - I actually find it's rear end very sexy with the red taillight stripe and without the spoiler, + if you want to change that, it is easy to swap the rear lid to a turbo one, so in the end it is almost identical with the exception of side air intakes.

my humble opinion, of owning a 996 for a week now and looking for its engine parts
+1 I love my 04 C4S Cab. It's heavily optioned, PSE, full leather, aluminum package etc. and has the sexy body and turbo looks. People that don't know Porsches very well comment " Nice Turbo " I just smile and drive on. I looked long and hard for this car as the Cab C4S was only made in very limited numbers. It's not for sale ever!

I do dream about some day upgrading to a TT, but the additional cost of the insurance, maintenance and probably not being able to use the car to it's full potential is not in the cards for me. Also I don't think I would ever track the car as well. Maybe if I lived out west, AZ, NV, or something like that I would reconsider.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:50 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by riddler777
+ if you want to change that, it is easy to swap the rear lid to a turbo one, so in the end it is almost identical with the exception of side air intakes.
A coupe turbo decklid will not fit on a coupe C4S.... ask me how I know.
My turbo has a UMW stage 1 flash with a Europipe exhaust and it is plenty freakin' fast. I can only image what turbos are like that have higher HP upgrades. What it does in my mind is make the rush of acceleration and the thrill of speed happen so fast that it shortens the time of enjoyment. Whereas a NA car might give you 15 seconds of fun on the street say carving an onramp or squirting around traffic, the turbo only gives you 10 seconds because you have to shut it down so much sooner if you're being prudent. So for street purposes only I can see where a NA is more rational. But throw in the turbos looks, mezger engine, upgraded interior and cache' the turbos got an awful lot going for it. Definitely worth the cost differential IMO.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyata
But throw in the turbos looks, mezger engine, upgraded interior and cache' the turbos got an awful lot going for it. Definitely worth the cost differential IMO.
This is the correct answer ... The Mezger engine will never have an IMS failure
Old 08-10-2014, 12:16 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 03 C4S and love the car...plenty fast, looks GREAT with tail, and most people think it's a Turbo
PL

Quick Reply: Not so good experience